Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Another weapon use issue  (Read 360 times)

Ornstein

• Bay Watcher
  • Glory to the RNG
    • View Profile
Another weapon use issue
« on: August 13, 2014, 01:30:13 pm »

A wild troll has entered my fortress, fairly early still; no metallurgy has been done due to lack of anvils.

I ordered my marksdwarves to attack him, and in their bumbling fashion they unloaded all of their wood bolts into him, but to no avail.

My nascent melee squad has attacked him, but instead of using their weapons, even training weapons, they go after him with their fists, even though they are not particularly skilled wrestlers.

Even a child has decided to come punch the troll.

The troll, for whatever reason, is too overcome with terror to retaliate, and the only injury sustained was one broken nose.

The fight has been going on long enough for the combatants to get thirsty, but the troll is not dead yet, only bruised.

I've tried to draft some new squads to pick up something since the already engaged fighters will not disengage. Miners were my first thought but they drop their weapons after they engage in melee.

Please advise, as much as live training can be useful, it needs to end before the dwarves kill themselves via exhaustion.
And so he linked the !!flame!!

Ornstein

• Bay Watcher
  • Glory to the RNG
    • View Profile
Re: Another weapon use issue
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 04:53:00 pm »

Although I'm not sure how to address the root problem, the immediate problem was solved by selecting the individual armaments for a dwarf, waiting for him to collect every piece, then ordering him attack. Perhaps some issue with the Uniforms?
And so he linked the !!flame!!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 07:40:45 pm »

Dwarves have always had "interesting" behavior when picking up gear.  I usually give a squad a move order after changing up their equipment as that seems to jump start their priorities on picking it up.  It's possible that a kill order tells them to go kill it now, no matter what you've got on you.  I haven't tried fooling around with the military in the new version yet, nor can I remember quite how that worked in the old versions.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 02:54:34 am »

with the miners try turning off their mining labor before assigning them to a squad to fight.  I had a similar problem with a woodcutter not taking his axe to train and was told to turn off his woodcutting labor first and that did the trick for me

quarague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 03:45:01 am »

if you are in a desparate combat situation early on, your initial animals might be useful. I think say a yak or a cow against a goblin is about even odds, and even if the goblin wins, there is a decent chance he will just leave the map afterwards. So early on, just put all your large grazing animals near your fort entrance as a first line of defence. It works surprising well.
More importantly, ... , making the project pointlessly difficult and requiring greatly overcomplicated means to set up  ...
from Sphalerite