Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best way to haul a corpse?  (Read 5090 times)

Torrenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Best way to haul a corpse?
« on: August 11, 2014, 07:32:58 pm »

I managed to get attacked by a giant.

The giant found my first two traps and died...

I'd been waiting for the corpse to get hauled to my refuse stockpile.  For several game months.

I then designated a dumping location and marked the corpse to be dumped.
And waited.
and waited.

and made note of all the cancellation spam.
...cancels Store Item in stockpile: Horrified.
Are my dwarves really too afraid of a giant's corpse to move it 10 squares, around a corner and into the stockpile?

How best do I get rid of this thing?
//Torrenal

SeelenJägerTee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Best way to haul a corpse?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 07:41:43 pm »

Simply let it run - provided you can compensate the bad thoughts it generates.
Every time they get horrified they get a little bit XP for discipline. It can take a very long time if your haulers are cowards.
However there is no real other thing you can do about it, except let your dwarfs spar this should train discipline too.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 07:44:18 pm »

Training undertakers becomes a thing now. All dwarves that have refuse and or burial labours enabled should get a few seasons of discipline training in the barracks.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Torrenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 08:09:14 pm »

Blargh... perhaps it's a burrows thing, corpse is inside a burrow that doesn't include a stockpile....  I'll check that out after the siege lifts.

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 10:49:46 pm »

Distantly related to hauling corpses: anyone else notice that with Toady's addition of special hauling labors as well as assigning various hauling labors to jobs that previously did not require labor, Toady has in essence destroyed child labor?  I can't be the only one who noticed the deconstruction labor added and had the immediate thought "crap, now the kids are even MORE parasitic leeches."

As to undertaker training: yes.  Make your old, infirm, military veterans into undertakers.  Legless, blind, and or otherwise crippled dwarves preferred.  Or splatter puppies in your dining room until all your dwarves grow a beard and don't care about anything anymore.
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.

Berserkenstein

• Bay Watcher
  • A giant humanoid monster with the head of a bull.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 11:26:24 pm »

Training undertakers becomes a thing now. All dwarves that have refuse and or burial labours enabled should get a few seasons of discipline training in the barracks.

So what you are saying is locking cowardly dwarves in a room full of mutilated corpses is training and not psychological torture?

I knew it was for their own good!

When I first noticed that they did this I locked a cowardly dwarf in a room with a cage with a coyote in it and watched them both sit paralyzed in fear from each other.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 11:47:35 pm »

It's not a burrows thing, though that bug has been live and kicking forever i think toady took a swipe in 40_07, havent really looked yet.  It only really affected items for workshops, piles didnt get hurt unless the burrow was active, giving you 'forbidden area' spam, which is exactly as it ought to be.  The cancels:Horrified tells us your dwarf is failing a Discipline check.  For sure.

People's advice on training it and methods is sound, every dwarf who sees a sentient corpse makes a Discipline check, remember this when they dump it in the refuse pile.  All the way to skeleton it Horrifies every dwarf in LoS who fails a Disc check, so it will help train undertakers.  If you put it on a very busy haul route you can train the whole fort at the cost of some inefficiencies.  A horrified dwarf ties up a bin he is carrying for a long time, then drops it when he snaps out too.

Splashing puppies in the Dining Room wont work.  It does what Solon64 says, it makes the people who see it not care about death anymore.  But despite being a member of your civ the puppy is not sentient, so I'm not sure you'll get a Discipline check, It's a gravity impact not standard combat either, so you wont get them scared of fighting.  You just get dwarves who get much smaller or no unhappy thoughts from witnessing death.  Which is an entirely different psyche system to the Discipline/Horror
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 11:54:06 pm by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Torrenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 08:09:29 pm »

Update:

Siege clear.

It may be a while before I have a anything definitive on moving the corpse, the dwarves are preoccupied simply examining the results of the siege...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 03:29:08 am »

I would be horrified, too. Can't blame the poor bastards.
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2014, 04:42:48 pm »

I've had a human corpse lie around for a full turn and a half of the dwarven seasons (werelizard attack, the were turned out to be a human when the lizard was bitten to death by a grieving mother-of-two whose husband had been in my short-lived armed forces. Still can't believe a dorf bit a were to pieces..). The human caravan has got to have been giving us some odd looks that year... It was right outside the Trade Depot. Dorfs assigned to move it never could bring themselves to do so. They'd get horrified, and abandon the job. Eventually, I gave in and built walls all the way around the corpse just to make it easier to run the fort.

I'm still imagining the conversation in the human wagon.
"That looks like Fred."
"What the hell did these sawn off little bastards do to Fred?"
"Don't look, I swear there are bite marks on his face"
"Shit. They eat human flesh!"
"Lets trade with these little demons and leave as fast as possible, okay?"
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Dorf and Dumb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2014, 06:54:55 pm »

Put FB -> fortications -> raised bridge -> more fortications -> dorfs.  The squad wonders why you locked the door behind them, then the bridge drops.  Man, you should see those dorfs fly back and forth in an enclosed area!  I haven't figured out how to use this to get them around the fort yet... maybe something with multiple pressure plates with the monsters just a little further back along the hallway?  Run, dorf, run.  We should set up a thread for the Dorfen Track And Field Team, see who here can make an agile dorf go the most squares in a hundred ticks.

Oh, but to get back to the point, they got novice or competent discipline and stopped bothering me so much with spammage.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 06:57:50 pm by Dorf and Dumb »

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2014, 08:39:13 pm »

I don't think this is just related to the discipline skill. I just got through a siege, followed by a tantrum spiral that dropped me from over 100 dwarves to just 11. The siege only killed 4 dwarves, but that was enough to trigger the spiral. The place was a mess, with goblin and troll corpses outside and in my trap corridor, and dwarf corpses all over the place inside.

After it finally died down and dwarves were getting to work building coffins and filling them, a wave of migrants arrived. The surviving dwarves were going about their business as if the red on the walls was just paint, and the corpses just part of the furniture, but the new arrivals were cancelling jobs right and left, "Horrified" or "Emotional shock".

Actually, after examining the announcements, one newcomer was horrified 4 times, and all the other cancellations were emotional shock.

I used Dwarf Therapist (DT) to sort by migration wave, and checked discipline, and some of the survivors still have 0 discipline, yet are having no problems, while a few of the migrants already had discipline of 1, and are being horrifically shocked. So there's something more than just discipline at work here.

I've gone through in DT and grouped by migration wave, then sorted by various traits to see what correlations I can find. One thing i also did was filter out those who are resting. They were injured during the spiral and have been sitting in their rooms or the hospital, so probably haven't seen as much carnage as the other survivors.

I started out by tallying up who got what cancels. Since the migration wave arrived, 2 survivors each had 2 emotional shocks (hereafter: ES). 3 of the newcomers have had no cancels, the rest had 1, 2 or 3 ES. Only the one dwarf was ever horrified, and he was horrified (hereafter: H) 4 times (and 1 ES).

The one who was horrified 4 times is also the one with the lowest bravery trait, at just 36 (Is somewhat fearful in the face of imminent danger).  Also consider that it's very possible that being horrified might raise whatever trait makes one vulnerable to it, so he might have started even lower. The next lowest was a 41 (no text for this), who was not ever horrified.

I don't see any obvious correlation for the ones who were ESed. It's possible that the trait that cause it was sufficiently raised that no correlation shows up now.

Confidence looks close at first glance, with most of those having ESes being below 50. But one who had an ES has a confidence of  60, and the dwarf with the lowest confidence value, 28 (Sometimes acts with little determination and confidence) is a new migrant and didn't have an ES. BTW the confidence of 60 is the same one who had the lowest bravery - maybe being horrified and surviving 4 times boosted his confidence?

Hmm, after filtering out the resting dwarves, I just realized that the survivors with 0 discipline are all resting, so that's why they aren't being horrified or ESed.  Of those who were ESed, most do have 0 discipline, but one newcomer who ESed 1 time has a discipline of 1 (and 32% of the way to 2). That's the fellow who was also horrified 4 times, so maybe he started out below 1? The 2 survivors who each ESed twice since the migrant arrived have discipline values of 2 and 3 though, so there must be something else involved. There are survivors with discipline of just 1 who have been fine.

This is definitely something that needs more ‼SCIENCE‼ done. One needs to keep track of each dwarf's traits, skills, and attributes before and after each H or ES event and see what changes. Unfortunately, with the help of the new migrants, all the corpses in my fort have been either properly buried or dumped in the refuse pile outside, so the next wave of migrants won't make good test subjects. I guess I could try restoring from my last seasonal backup, but that was over a month before the migrants arrived, and I don't really want to replay that particular month. It wasn't pretty.

There also needs to be similar study of H and ES during combat. Parts of my siege looked like something out of the old TV serise, F-Troop "Where Indian fights are colorful sights and nobody takes a lickin', cause paleface and redskin both turn chicken!" At one point I had a single hammerdwarf stuck outside and about a dozen trolls were coming at him. Suddenly all but one Troll turned and ran away in terror. My guy went into a trance, danced with the Troll for a while until 8 or so goblins showed up. Then he proceeded to dance around, jumping away from blows while knocking out one opponent at a time, leaving a trail of unconscious goblins (and 1 troll). Being a hammerdwarf, of course he didn't actually kill any of them. After he knocked out the last one, he came out of his trance and immediately went into emotional shock and just stood there until a goblin crossbowman walked up to him and swing its crossbow at him. I then unleashed a squad of dwarves, and they rushed around the corner, saw the carnage-strewn field, and half of them were immediately hors de combat with shock. The others would rush up, smash in the head of one unconscious invader, then apparently were completely shocked at having killed someone and stood there thinking how truely horrifying it was. From here on out, I maybe had 2 or 3 effective troops at any given time, out of 15 or so in my military. The rest were just standing around in shock and/or horror.

We've got to find a way to emotionally prepare troops for combat.

Sorry for going so long.

Keith
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Torrenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2014, 09:01:35 pm »

You still have your stockpile of corpses outside.

Put a lever at the far end of it, and ask various dwarves to pull it.

Might want to install a lever first, and move some corpses next to it... you might be emotionally shocking the dwarf to get the lever in.

I've had fights go where there's one dwarf vs 20+ undead, and they run around hacking off limbs, tearing bodies nigh in half...
...and then the trance wears off and all they seem to do is dodge and die.

Whereas 10 marksdwarves faced with similar counts of undead and no path to them just bolt and hide.  Nevermind the crossbow, or the bolts.

I think the trance prevents emotions from ruling action.  Or at lest from fear or shock preventing wholesale combat.

//Torrenal

Voidlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2014, 05:39:55 am »

Simple solution, generous application of magma/lava
The Void shall consume all

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2014, 05:48:15 am »

Good work khearn.  I've never even seen this 'Emotional Shock' yet.  Only seen Horrified cancels.

I agree, this oughta be properly science'd by personality trait.

Preparing for the harshness of the world:  I folded some time ago, every creature in my world has natural novice disc.  You still get heroes and wusses, just less of the '90% combatants sitting like a lemon at any given moment'
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.