Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I want to tell a story  (Read 460 times)

wlmartin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I want to tell a story
« on: August 14, 2014, 05:01:52 am »

I am loving DF but I recognize my attention span is poor so rather than just going for the optimal build and min/maxing, I wouldn't mind telling a story

What is my fortress looking to accomplish?
What is its mission?

So for the next game I play, my goal is to setup a farming community.
I will take the following build :

1 x Prof Woodchopper
1 x Prof Carpenter
1 x Prof Grower
1 x Prof Herbalist
1 x Prof Milker/Cheese maker
1 x Prof Brewer
1 x Prof Cook

I'll be taking some basic starter food and drink, i'll be making cheese and picking berries for my guys otherwise. Long-term farming should work as well.
I'll be taking cows for milking and cheese making purposes. I will breed them and then as more farm stock arrives in migration (pigs, sheep) i'll develop them.

No dedicated Miner... but since I won't be digging for minerals, I only need him to build into the earth for security.
I'll give a pick to someone just to carve into the earth a little bit.

I will chopping down only to meet demand, no deforestation. If we need a barrel, we knock a tree down to get it. Perhaps we keep a small surplus to work between cutting jobs but no mass wood cutting.

As migrants come in, the goal will be to build my community tall, big population with only the basic needs of food and drink being met.
So the migrants will be trained up on the farming skills only, nothing else.
I may fill them in with self sufficiency tasks like making clothes.

My net worth shouldn't grow too much since i'll only be building the basics.
I could make an economy off my carpenter making furniture but i dont plan to, if there isn't furniture we use, we won't make it.

My trader will buy in anything we need but don't produce and my export will typically be food
I will begin building a small militia over time, I'll evolve into Leatherworking (since I reckon to have a roaring livestock number after awhile) so equip my guys with leather then either make wooden weapons or buy weapons in. Just for protection!!

I'll see how long that keeps my amusement and how big I can get just working the above strategy before getting bored and then going off to find the circus

Anyone tried something similar?

Haikon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I want to tell a story
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 07:37:12 am »

This sounds like a really good concept.

I always get too involved in micromanaging and construction projects, and that makes me miss out on just observing and enjoying dwarf behavior.  I should probably try something like this myself.

You might accidentally get very rich much sooner than you expect.

wlmartin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I want to tell a story
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 09:20:22 am »

Im always up for trying interesting things

There is so much I still havent done of course and since im not native to the mine-craft type games and have only touched on prison architect a little, this is all really new for me.

My main stay games are strategy/sim/rpg

If it wasnt for Quill18 showcasing it, I would likely never touched it because its so low-rent.
... but so much fun!

Ive only been to the circus once and was so unprepared.. had the Deep Hole message where a pit lined with candy goes to the bowels of the earth and for a second i thought "ooh, i wonder if there is a safe way to mine this without hitting the lowest part" but within 2 seconds i got swamped by devils... FUN! :)

Never enjoyed losing so much in any game before

I love the idea of making it an organic growth game. Even tempted to go dynastic and turn off migrations. Put story-based limitations in my characters and although i "can" dump on the economy, make it so that they don't WANT to spam mugs, they just want to sell a good amount of cheese and be happy with that.

Since the enemies coming at me are based on my economy, keeping my value low seems like a good bet. I can't see myself quantum dumping goods or leaving my guys idling rather than staying busy to get this done..

.. so my thought was, roleplay it so that when the homeland caravan arrives, GIFT them a certain amount of goods that I want to get rid of. This gets them off my ledger and it also serves as a kind of tithe/tax system where the productivity of my colony is being manipulated by the parent civilization.

--- We aren't supposed to make money, we are supposed to satisfy the needs of our motherland.

I just love the idea of going away from the MIN/MAX get-to-the-gold mentality and taking advantage of the skills i never ever put time into.
Why would you milk? Since it costs so much at embark to bring a cow, the only milk based economy you can build up is later on by buying animals or breeding them - and by that point you aren't going to find benefit in a cash/effort to making cheese