Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is new version playable  (Read 1855 times)

em1LL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is new version playable
« on: August 10, 2014, 03:20:18 pm »

Hi all!

Can you tell me whether the new version is playable atm? I see that a lot of crashes were already fixed, but what about other bugs? Yep, I know that there is a bug tracker, but I don't remember how many bugs we had in the previous version, so I can't compare them.

Thanks in advance.

Sheylos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is new version playable
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 04:12:50 pm »

I am using the bugfix version before today's release and have not come across any huge bugs and have not had any issues with crashing at all.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 07:12:09 pm »

Yes, .40.07 is playable.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

MaGicBush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 09:05:15 am »

So for someone who has been waiting for 3 years for a new version now is the time to get back into the game? I read there is a save corruption, so maybe I should wait till he finds that? I just want my first experience to be fun and with no game breaking bugs. I have been waiting and lurking since this version released for it to become stable :).

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 09:11:51 am »

So for someone who has been waiting for 3 years for a new version now is the time to get back into the game? I read there is a save corruption, so maybe I should wait till he finds that? I just want my first experience to be fun and with no game breaking bugs. I have been waiting and lurking since this version released for it to become stable :).

It's been playable for a while. There are bugs from time to time, but there aren't really any that make it unplayable (the military works again, right?). So yes, you can get into it.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Necrisha

• Bay Watcher
  • 0.0 0.o o.0 o.o -.- zzzZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 10:41:10 am »

The save corruption issues have for the most part fixed a few versions ago, so has the baby explosion. Sparring is fixed too.
EDIT: Keas restricted to tropical forests where they belong.  Those evil, EVIL, foul little things.

Edit: The baby murderer became a friend of the fortress, which started a loyalty cascade, and now most of the squad is dead.

Authority2

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: INCREASE_FPS: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 02:08:07 pm »

Dfhack is apparently updating for the new version this week, so you might want to wait for that.
"But I tell you what the Queen wants is impossible. The story of her mandate to create floodgates in our desert fortress cannot be told in less than 314160 stanzas! Art bows not to any dwarf!"

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 09:02:49 pm »

I have been playing on .07 for a bit and now updated to .08 and I can say that I haven't noticed many bugs if any.
So I would say, yes you can start playing and if .09 or something comes out your save will probably work on it if you copy it over (Did for me when I moved from .07 to .08).
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 09:04:21 pm by bluephoenix »

MaGicBush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2014, 10:30:25 am »

Thanks for the replies! Time to have some fun!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2014, 01:15:46 pm »

How playable is fort mode atm? I'd like to do fort mode, but I'm being hesitant like waiting for something, but I dunno.

The merchants sound like they're kind of problematic atm though.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 01:17:23 pm by smjjames »

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2014, 02:19:46 pm »

The merchants can occasionally do a strange thing or two, especially if something terrible happens to them/near them while they're trying to conduct business.

Strange moods are still a little, well, strange. They work, but occasionally materials or moody dwarves will teleport around. This makes it more difficult to keep track of the little bastards, but not by much. Trees no longer explode(I haven't seen one explode in a while at least), bolts and arrows work properly now(not a .40 bug, much older). Trees both grow and do not grow through things.

Werecreatures are more dangerous, sieges are earlier, goblins are more deadly than before, the dwarven dogpile is useless as a backup militia, and cleaning up messes is a little harder.

.40.08 has had a rough couple of releases (unknown frozen beast extract wall, shouting at gods crashed the game, blocking things crashed the game, fruits are still a little screwed up) but I would say completely playable. Save compatibility looks like it's in good shape now too.

Edit: in fort mode. Adventure mode has been good since probably .06, but I'm a forter through and through.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2014, 02:47:23 pm »

Fortress mode is a lot better than adventurer mode at the moment. Adventurer mode isn't crash, but unfinished or bugged features like the conversation and morale system make it a little strange after the novelty wears off.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2014, 04:35:37 pm »

Edit: in fort mode. Adventure mode has been good since probably .06, but I'm a forter through and through.

Morale is badly broken in adventure mode. Enemies that ambush you will run away screaming most of the time, and more stuff like that. Most enemies will happily allow you to cut them to pieces without any response.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 04:39:37 pm by Bralbaard »

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2014, 02:00:42 am »

Fortress mode seems stable enough now to build an epic fort without having to fear major bugs crushing it. (I'm crossing fingers.)

I'm currently playing my first "real" fort in this version that I plan to take to its natural end rather than as a short term debugging and feature exploration experiment. It's wobbly and has some issues but the current version should stand up to serious play. I'm not sure how well the bug with the lack of sieges has been patched as my new fortress has not been going long enough to be overdue for a second incursion. In my opinion that was one of the worst bugs since it committed the one fatal sin in DF which is it to make it boring. Toady mentions a lingering corrupt save bug in the development journal but it seems very rare as I have not seen complaints about it in the forums.

Things to watch for in this version include keeping your dwarves as happy as possible while also being sure to train their discipline. It is wise to invest embark points in the discipline skill for each of the starting 7, particularly your military dwarves. Dwarves are kind of touchy and emotionally unstable in DF 2014, to the point that you really should plan for it. A dedicated and well trained millitary is important since you can't just draft everyone at the last second, give them a crossbow and expect to win. Crossbows are MUCH less powerful than they used to be and the fear in your combatant hardened citizens' minds is potentially more deadly than any goblin blade.

It seems a bit silly to have to warn people, but the undead should be treated with the utmost respect. They are serious enemies. In large numbers they are some of the strongest foes you can face aside for the HFS. Watch out for the elite zombies that show up with weapons and armor or giant undead animals. Both are very dangerous. If your a new player you probably should not embark near a necromancer tower or on an evil biome. (Check for neighbors while embarking to avoid the towers.)

Don't cut down trees in high traffic areas without first taking precautions to keep dwarves from being taken out by the falling widow makers.

Create a meeting area so your dwarves don't go climbing everywhere on break.

You should probably try to avoid large worlds with long histories since they will be quite laggy. Medium world's with 200-300 years of history generally seem to run pretty well for me.

You might as well jump in and go for it. If you are a typical new DF player you don't need to worry about the long term prospects of your first fort since it is doomed anyway so you might as well jump in and start playing. Get the starter pack with dwarf therapist. It lacks DF hack at the moment, but that doesn't matter much since many of the bugs it patched have since been fixed by Toady.

I should add I have no idea how stable and playable Adventure Mode is at the moment.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 02:03:07 am by Melting Sky »