Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: floods no longer pass fortifications?  (Read 1109 times)

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
floods no longer pass fortifications?
« on: November 12, 2006, 04:36:00 am »

so im playing the latest version with a world made in this build, and a brand new fort.  i have a double floodgate, a hallway, a fortification, and more empty space on the other side.

the flood isnt passing the floodgate.  is this a feature or a bug?  i didnt see it in the dev notes.

w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.whitehouse.gov/president/
Re: floods no longer pass fortifications?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2006, 11:29:00 am »

It still works for me (as of the latest version).

However, I've never done exactly what you seem to be describing: It seems like you're using flood water (i.e. after a double floodgate).  I've only ever used river overflow water to go through fortifications.

Does anyone know if flood water ever went through fortifications? I don't.

Angela Christine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2006, 11:58:00 am »

No, I once tried flooding as a last ditch part of my entrance defence, and was quite surprised (and pleased) that it didn't pass through the fortifications into a nearby barracks that still had a couple injured dwarf inside.  It's funny that shallow overflow water passes through fortifications and deep flood water does not, but there you go.

w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2006, 01:10:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Angela Christine:
<STRONG>No, I once tried flooding as a last ditch part of my entrance defence, and was quite surprised (and pleased) that it didn't pass through the fortifications into a nearby barracks that still had a couple injured dwarf inside.  It's funny that shallow overflow water passes through fortifications and deep flood water does not, but there you go.</STRONG>

Ignoring the possibility of pumps and so forth, water is limited by the height of the river it's sourced from.  That's higher in the overflow case.

Ancient Whale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2006, 02:16:00 pm »

But dwarves can walk on overflow water without any problems, while they drown in flood water.

w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2006, 02:21:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Ancient Whale:
<STRONG>But dwarves can walk on overflow water without any problems, while they drown in flood water.</STRONG>

Well, then it seems like that's the thing that doesn't make sense.  The fortification thing is, at least, consistent with reality.

Just to be clear: I don't have much of an issue with this one way or the other.

Draxxalon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2006, 05:00:00 pm »

This is just one of the myriad cases where natural floods behave differently than dwarf-created floods.

Pod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2006, 09:44:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Ancient Whale:
<STRONG>But dwarves can walk on overflow water without any problems, while they drown in flood water.</STRONG>

Water in channels moves 3x faster than river water, doesn't it?
Therefor we can assume that the flood water is moving 3x faster than the trickling overflow water....

maybe.