Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Acid Spit?  (Read 2311 times)

deepspaceprobe9

• Bay Watcher
  • "Personal" Text
    • View Profile
Acid Spit?
« on: August 08, 2014, 04:44:15 pm »

So I'm working on making a new (OP?) species and I want to make it able to spit molten "Acid". Is it possible to attach a syndrome to a material emission? Or will I have to go in and make a new material with the syndrome in it? I know I could do the latter, but I'm a bit lazy and that just seems like a bit too much work to melt off innocent faces.
   (*) Stopped zombies from interrupting your sleep to ask if they can help you with something

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: Acid Spit?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 05:43:26 pm »

If you're just looking for melty faces, I would just make it hot. 10708 is the temperature of fire, according to the wiki. That could do the trick.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

deepspaceprobe9

• Bay Watcher
  • "Personal" Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 06:06:17 pm »

I used melty faces for emphasis. I want to not only melt faces, but to make the victim bleed and blister and fall to the ground, a sobbing mess among the various severed peices of their comrades. Not unlike a Barbie in a dog pen. So I'm going to need syndromes.
   (*) Stopped zombies from interrupting your sleep to ask if they can help you with something

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 05:18:52 am »

Or will I have to go in and make a new material with the syndrome in it? I know I could do the latter, but I'm a bit lazy and that just seems like a bit too much work to melt off innocent faces.

Well, making it 'acid' with a contact syndrome that does what you said it does sounds like the most logical thing. I haven't modded in years, but you still define some materials at creature level, right? In a way, you're still editing the creature raws anyway and the difference in effort doesn't seem all that big.
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2014, 06:34:41 am »

If you want to use a material emission then you will need to define the material.  I think you can do it locally in the creature raws and then make the emission draw a local mat, not sure of syntax.  So in this case make your nasty melty goop complete with contact syndrome be part of your monster, actually in his definition as blood or something, make him immune to it, then make him emit it.  This way not only is he spitting his own blood (a material you just name 'acid' so that it always looks right no matter the context), but he will bleed it too.

If the spit visual effect is less important then just make it an interaction with syndrome, you create the interaction and add the syndrome in the interaction file, then just give the critter the interaction in it's RAWs.  You can still make the attack fairly easy to notice when its being used by getting the interaction to output to the log. (since you wont actually have a trailing-flow or whatever to highlight the spitting)

Heres an example acid interaction that oughta work.  I stopped whoever can use it from stacking it on victims, gave it pain, blisters, bleeding and a good shot at temporary blindness lasting well until the rest are scars.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
  I tried something much like the above once without stopping it from being layered and the critter spammed it a lot, anyone suffering the syndrome above is also immune to it, all the way out to 15000 ticks when the blindness wears off (or at 1000 if no blinding).  Durations/sev/prob are the easy tweaks anyway.  Im also not sure about the multiple redundancy of cannot_target_if_already_affected and cannot_have_syndrome_class but it seems to work.

Just need to give the critter the interact.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 06:59:43 am by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2014, 01:37:05 pm »

Now that LIQUID_GLOB spits actual liquid, you can do this in the latest version.  Here's an example that should work well, just copy it into the creature file, although you might want to adjust the intensity of the syndromes to get the exact effect you want.  LOCALIZED makes it affect only the area that is actually hit by the venom instead of the whole body, which would make sense for acid, although this doesn't work for nausea, dizziness, or any other syndrome that wouldn't make sense.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

deepspaceprobe9

• Bay Watcher
  • "Personal" Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2014, 07:20:18 pm »

I give a thank you to all of those who replied to this post, it has greatly furthered the great science of pillageology in The Realm of Universes.