Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Should I play with mods or not?  (Read 2275 times)

blackravenx

• Bay Watcher
  • Learning Newbie
    • View Profile
Re: Should I play with mods or not?
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2014, 03:26:38 pm »

I'll playing on the stable version and waiting until 40.X is more stable. I'll check out soundsence.

tyrannus007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2014, 10:14:58 pm »

There are some mods that are fine for first-time playthroughs. They mostly fix bugs and add minor features, so they're sort of Vanilla+. Some examples:

Modest Mod
DF Wanderer - Great for Adventure Mode
Tweaks 'n' Such
GENERATION 26:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment

SADEyX

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2014, 05:10:54 am »

Masterwork isnt reccomended, but getting the starterpack and using tools definatly is. Dwarf therapist and a tileset at least.

The biggest problem I had as a new player was getting frustrated with indecision. there are sooo many questions you'll ask yourself and you can find yourself going insane as there doesnt appear to be a correct and right answer.  the Wiki will tell you a lot but you will find yourself running around in circles.  The community will have a wonderfull array of different answers and opinions but all to often ends up with 'whatever you want to do' or 'experient yourself' which just leads to even more frustration, sometimes you just want someone to tell you precicly what to do! and most peope wont.

Throwing in a mod which adds even more complexity is wrong.  In fact I've become a beleiver that mods are a waste of time as a whole, they make things worse.  I know there will be those who strongly disagree but thats my experience.  Mastering Dwarf Fortress itself is an epic task.

I'd strongly urge watching a ton of youtube series first,  I've found the best ones are a load done by Matt Thornberry http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCezf7y4AqBvFZt7NcM9rKVg   which are recordings from his tutorial streams on twitch  http://www.twitch.tv/nirruden/profile

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2014, 09:49:55 am »

I began playing with no mods, only Therapist. Then I made myself a little homebrew mod that made goblins combust, because I was tired of them ruining my forts. After that I said, hey, I want to play as fire imps. A few days later, I was playing as fire imps. I made several modifications to make them playable, gave them new weapons and tools, as well as new tame animals.

After a while I released the mod under the name 'Fire Imp Civilization'. The mod gradually evolved into the Blood for Armok mod, which can be seen in my sig.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2014, 02:32:40 am »

It depends on how you define mods. Dwarf Therapist and DFhack are excellent to have, but they're utilities. I personally like modding the raws for fun and for seeing what will happen. (For example, I gave every civ [BABYSNATCHER] and I'm observing the results.)
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Rip0k

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2014, 12:45:13 pm »

I pretty much agree: Vanilla, maybe some lite-mods, tweaks, tools etc.

But...
...I was unhappy with how my fortress layout was, and I made a very poor trade so I just started a new fortress...

Please don't give up so easily. This was just a minor inconvenience. There is always time to improve and change things later. Don't bother with striving for perfection. IMHO it lessens the enjoyment and the entire point is to have fun while there is !FUN! ;P
Rip0k cancels chillin, struck down by water pipe shot!
Pages: 1 [2]