Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Goblin Sieges (Best Embark?)  (Read 603 times)

Nasty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Goblin Sieges (Best Embark?)
« on: August 03, 2014, 06:17:01 am »

I was wondering what sort of conditions people have come up with to get a lot of goblin attacks.

I've probably made about eight or so fortresses in 40.x, and I've had a few attacks in the early years but they always seem to dry up. Checking in Legends mode generally the dwarf king will be killed and loads of sites on all sides will be conquered (still populated mind, but they lose their civilization affinity) in the first year or so.

All of this seems to upset the onslaught of invasions I was hoping for.

Will I have better luck once the monarch comes? Any ideas for a better embark (I am right next to what was initially a block of 50 or so goblin sites, now down to about 15-20)? or world gen?

beefsupreme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Goblin Sieges (Best Embark?)
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 08:33:28 am »

Look for a world in the Age of Goblins (if you set megabeasts to very few, almost all worlds reach that age quickly enough) with a dwarven civ that's at war with the goblins. To prevent the goblins from wiping out the dwarves, stop genning as soon as you can in the AoG. You could also try using a third party program like legends viewer to get a better perspective of how many of each species are alive in the world.

lianopbs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 02:04:11 pm »

Im sad of lack of sieges too so I'm restarting a map with your advices

it's the ages of goblins  : 100k goblins 4k humans 1k dwarves
The map is literrally filled with goblins, If I dont get attacked, I dont know what else to do

bigcalm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 02:10:26 pm »

It's probably related to this bug - http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=6737

It's currently marked as normal in the bug tracker but as it's basically broken fortress mode (no sieges) it should be looked at with more priority.  For now, you could edit all the raws to remove the [FLIER] tag from everything which should fix it for you.

Nasty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 09:13:35 am »

Nah, my woodcutter has been running around, cutting the trees down under em with abandon. Seems to stir them up, make a few of them leave, keeps the wildlife cycling through. I've had a Minotaur recently. Just no goblins.
Im sad of lack of sieges too so I'm restarting a map with your advices

it's the ages of goblins  : 100k goblins 4k humans 1k dwarves
The map is literrally filled with goblins, If I dont get attacked, I dont know what else to do

You are a brave man, risking all those zombies.

Thats the problem, I've had no worries getting zombies to siege. They just stand there and be neigh on invincible. What I want is goblin assaults of the scale of the old days. 80+ trying to rush the entry hallway. The kind of good old pyric victory you have to get the woodcutter out to finish the wounded for.