Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Are undead invaders historical figures? Can invader populations be depleted?  (Read 573 times)

R@bbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

At the moment, I have a fort that is near some necromancer towers.  The invaders are divided between a named necromancer, and unnamed undead titled as "goblin/human <insert military profession here> corpse."  The question that I have is as to whether these invaders, necromancers and undead, are drawn from a pool that can be depleted.  In other words, will the necromancers eventually run out of animated thralls to throw at me, or if I kill enough necromancers, will the opposing necromantic civ die out?  Or, am I doomed to a constant siege of the undead outside my fort walls (re-embark, lol)?

I found a thread a while back that stated that killing invading kobold thieves did not deplete the population of the nearby civ ("attacks are few and far between" 2011).  However, that was an old thread, and the same rules may not apply to necromancers and undead.

billw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sorry I don't have an answer to your question, but I am interested in knowing as well, I have been pretty much perma sieged by undead since 6 months after my embark. The latest wave was 50 undead goblin military. Because I have been so sieged I only have 50 dwarves, and a fairly unskilled 8 man Axe Squad. The undead don't seem to be drawn towards my gates when they are open so I can't trap them. I started to setup siege weapons but I don't think that will help (the area is dense forest, and I don't have any trained operators). The only option I can think of is the magma one, but I don't really like that, it is too easy. Any ideas?!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile

IIRC there are a limited number of necromancers, yes.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

R@bbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thanks for your replies you two :)  Hopefully, if the necromancers are hist figs, then killing them will end the sieges (Eventually).  Is there a way to check how many necromancers there are remaining?  What are the ramifications of killing the last one?  Does their civilization die?? :D

Billw, I have a similar story to my fortress.  I had the same issue of having about fifty adult dwarves and a necromancer siege with goblin undead.  There was no copper or iron on the map, so I ended up with a squad of six axe-dwarves with silver weapons trained in a "danger room."  Things didn't go well, and I've switched to hammers, but the undead are pretty much invincible anyway.  I tried siege engines too, but that didn't work at all.  The trees block LOS and the siege engines have a very narrow range of fire anyway.  I got lucky when a wildfire (caused by a fire-breathing titan, lol) killed the first siege's necromancer allowing for another wave of migrants and some trade.  Right now, another necromancer with human zombies has showed up and raised the corpse of the fire-breathing titan that was killed (easily, more like slaughtered) by the existing goblin undeads.  I have concerns that the raised Titan may still have fire-breathing capabilities.

The only thing that I can think of is baiting them into cage traps, which reminds me to post another question about that.  So far, I've found that, if they wander close enough to my fort, I can lure them in by leaving the doors unlocked and having the military dwarves shoot at them from the walls.  Bait animals have not worked so far...

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

At the moment, I have a fort that is near some necromancer towers.  The invaders are divided between a named necromancer, and unnamed undead titled as "goblin/human <insert military profession here> corpse."  The question that I have is as to whether these invaders, necromancers and undead, are drawn from a pool that can be depleted.  In other words, will the necromancers eventually run out of animated thralls to throw at me, or if I kill enough necromancers, will the opposing necromantic civ die out?  Or, am I doomed to a constant siege of the undead outside my fort walls (re-embark, lol)?

I found a thread a while back that stated that killing invading kobold thieves did not deplete the population of the nearby civ ("attacks are few and far between" 2011).  However, that was an old thread, and the same rules may not apply to necromancers and undead.

I am fairly sure that the population of non-historical figures is limited......

Historical figures are promoted from non-historical figures however.  It is likely that your necromancer will not run out of zombies because they can always steal other settlements non-historical figures to make non-historical zombie figures to attack your settlements.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 07:49:25 am by GoblinCookie »

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile

I am fairly sure that the population of non-historical figures is limited......

Historical figures are promoted from non-historical figures however.  It is likely that your necromancer will not run out of zombies because they can always steal other settlements non-historical figures to make non-historical zombie figures to attack your settlements.
Non-historical figures are limited, that's true. Toady said that necros actually seek out battlefields in world-gen to raise the dead for their armies. I don't think that he got around to moving that process to post-worldgen though.
So if I'm not mistaken, you should be able to deplete the undead armies.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.