Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Praise be to the Miners! Now what?(first experience with Candy)  (Read 851 times)

Verjigorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

so I cracked open a new fort in 05, and decided to do some digging.  By the end of the first year, I'm sitting pretty with about 400 urists of booze(!?!   It worked!), several hundred roasts, and a nice secure spot to hide out in.   I've breached all three caverns, sealing off the mineshafts afterwards so that nothing Fun paths into my fortress.  The only ores I seem to have are Native gold, Galena and Malachite, well, and the two Candy spires I found in the magma sea.   I've just mined out my first bit of candy, then saved the game.   

So.   What do I do?  I think I've identified the hollow section that leads to the Circus, which I've never actually experienced.   Yet. 

I haven't done any real metal work(I skipped bringing fire safe rock with me at embark so...yeah, dar), and I'm thinking that my Proficient smiths arn't yet good enough to be making candy gear for me to use.   So should I train them up making copper gear? 

Which leads me to the next thing:   I guess I need to build a pumpstack to draw the Magma up to my working area(that is yet to be built) so I can power furnaces and schtuff, ja?

LarsGerhard

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERYTHING IS FINE
    • View Profile
Re: Praise be to the Miners! Now what?(first experience with Candy)
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 05:09:51 pm »

Assuming you don't want to delve into the occult arts of infinite metal production exploits don't let anyone make anything out of adamantine until they are trained up to legendary +5 with other metals. There is also an argument for stockpiling the stuff and nudging the fortress to making useful artifacts out of it.

You can make a forging area down where the magma is. Which approach is better really depends on the map and your sensibilities.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 05:12:43 pm by LarsGerhard »

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 06:17:49 pm »

What I usually do is trade with the caravans (if I don't have any) for Garnierite, then smelt into nickel. Nickel is magma-safe. Build minecarts out of that. Then I'll rig up a simple contraption to add magma to the inside of the minecart. Channel one tile beneath where the forge is set to go, built an adjacent track stop set to dump on arrival towards the hole, send the magma-filled minecart up and voila. Note that it requires 4/7 to function, and each minecart will dump 2/7. I personally prefer to go all the way to 6/7 just to ensure no evaporation happens, but that's just paranoia speaking.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 03:17:39 pm »

What I usually do is trade with the caravans (if I don't have any) for Garnierite, then smelt into nickel. Nickel is magma-safe. Build minecarts out of that.

For the record, iron is also magma-safe.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 03:37:35 pm »

On my map there's a ton of wood, and also magnetite.

I've had 4 wood burners going non-stop for ages, and trained my smiths with iron stuff. By the time he gets to legendary there's so many suits of armour that I've always got enough to buy out the caravans (not like I struggled before).

I like my wood burner setup so I've kept my normal forges/smelters up top (not the most efficient, but I like it), but I've set up a magma forge down near the candy with candy specific stockpiles for just my strand extractors, candy smelters, and smiths. So far it seems that I'm only being slowed down by the speed of the miners
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together