Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is the "Getting Started With Dwarf Fortress" book still a good resource?  (Read 887 times)

WaywardAutarch

• Escaped Lunatic
  • I like things
    • View Profile

It's available to me through my library branch's ebook database, and since it's from an older version, is it still a good book to use for newbies? And if so, what's different in the 2014 version compared to the version the book covers?

Dr. Sazar

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mortiest Morty
    • View Profile

All of the basics like construction, farming, building an army, resource management, etc. is essentially the same for 0.40.05 as it has been for the 2012 updates.

I haven't read all of the update notes but it mainly includes new Dwarf behavior, history generation, how civilizations act, and a bunch of adventure mode stuff.

You should be fine, just check with the DF wiki if you're confused, even though a lot needs to be updated..

Nihilich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

All of the basics like construction, farming, building an army, resource management, etc. is essentially the same for 0.40.05 as it has been for the 2012 updates.

I haven't read all of the update notes but it mainly includes new Dwarf behavior, history generation, how civilizations act, and a bunch of adventure mode stuff.

You should be fine, just check with the DF wiki if you're confused, even though a lot needs to be updated..
What this guy said.
It was actually out of date when it was written, I think. But everything you'd actually need to know is still there.

quies

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

a small note, hostiles can Scale Walls via trees now so above ground fort defense is some what changed. this should be fine if you just act like every thing can fly.

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

a small note, hostiles can Scale Walls via trees now so above ground fort defense is some what changed. this should be fine if you just act like every thing can fly.

That brings up a question can they scale b walls.

quies

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

That brings up a question can they scale b walls.

i don't think any definitive testing has been done, but the rumors so far are that smoothed natural stone can not be, construct walls made from blocks are hard to climb, rough stone walls are easier then the block counterpart, but not as easy as trees. however given how crazy trees have been, branches have allowed hostiles over the wall instead of the wall it self in all accounts i have read( no personal ones my self ).

Bki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Given that I've seen dwarf climb block walls after getting struck after mining/constructing/whatever, I think it's safe to consider that invader can climb walls.

BUT. You can't climb on the wall just above you. Which means that something like :

Code: [Select]
z-level 0 :

W W

z-level 1 :

WWWWW
W+++W
W+ +W
W+++W
WWWWW

Should work to prevent invader from climbing inside your forts. Of course, you need to be careful about trees.