Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Random Dwarf Economy Thought and Ideas  (Read 6798 times)

Romegypt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Random Dwarf Economy Thought and Ideas
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2014, 09:22:00 pm »

1) When a high noble (Count? Duke? Monarch?) enters the Fortress, he/she then demands the common dwarfs to pay taxes. But the noble imposes a rule: the taxes can only be paid in [his] coins, and nothing else.
    The taxes can be a monthly pay of, let's say, 100 coins per adult dwarf. Maybe there can be some imposed rule that is different from that, like taxes that are proportional to the size of the dwarf's room, or proportional to the quantity of pets, I don't know. And maybe the frequency could be different (weekly taxes? anual taxes?). The details of the taxation are very important, but it is open for debate. The way the taxation is designed will affect the level of work that each dwarf will have to supply by force to the noble.

When the time comes to become a mountain home  one could usurp the king maybe? Or become an outright new Civilization...although that makes trade rather tricky. Maybe a failed revolution results in the previous revolutionary leader being imprisoned by the mountain home? Or Mountain home appointed leaders arriving if the state of your economy/government is genned as a dictatorship by a particularly stringent monarch.

I feel as if revolutions should be implimented AFTER you can send armies out to invade other people.

Shazbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2014, 10:15:54 pm »

1) When a high noble (Count? Duke? Monarch?) enters the Fortress, he/she then demands the common dwarfs to pay taxes. But the noble imposes a rule: the taxes can only be paid in [his] coins, and nothing else.
    The taxes can be a monthly pay of, let's say, 100 coins per adult dwarf. Maybe there can be some imposed rule that is different from that, like taxes that are proportional to the size of the dwarf's room, or proportional to the quantity of pets, I don't know. And maybe the frequency could be different (weekly taxes? anual taxes?). The details of the taxation are very important, but it is open for debate. The way the taxation is designed will affect the level of work that each dwarf will have to supply by force to the noble.

When the time comes to become a mountain home  one could usurp the king maybe? Or become an outright new Civilization...although that makes trade rather tricky. Maybe a failed revolution results in the previous revolutionary leader being imprisoned by the mountain home? Or Mountain home appointed leaders arriving if the state of your economy/government is genned as a dictatorship by a particularly stringent monarch.

I feel as if revolutions should be implimented AFTER you can send armies out to invade other people.

Locally uprising against the nobility and off-with-their-heading them could be a solution to tantrum spirals, but off-map usurpation by the player would probably come with the army update. Oh... and it might cause your parent civilization to send an army to crush the peasant revolt. Hoooooo-boy. In either case, I don't think revolutions will tie into an economy update, but revolutions and armies will likely be the same package.

Dorf and Dumb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2014, 12:39:04 pm »

Mostly you should try to get one and only one thing out of the economy: the dorfs should be able to set their own occupations most of the time without assistance.  If you have a call for dorfs to make wood amulets, the dorfs that take that job should be ones making less at a different job currently.  Either that, or they just happen to like wood, or like amulets.  The occupational preferences the player sets should then remain as a limit to their degree of choice, such as if you're cultivating someone for something.

alertrelic

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2014, 03:32:48 pm »

I really must point out that DF has scarcity, nothing is without scarcity, and always will have scarcity.

I understand that, poor phrasing on my part.

I think food, booze and crafts are too readily available right now, this hurts gameplay. You shouldn't be able to feed 100+ dwarves on a patch of dirt. The mechanics of this are a separate issue but they will have a massive impact on any kind of dwarven economy.

Except it does not.  A feudal economy/society is at core where you have innumerable small essentially self-employed peasants and craftsmen being ruled over and taxed by a beaurocratic/clerical/military group that claims ownership over their land. 

In Dwarf Fortress the 'Feudal' titles are really collective property like everything else.  Someone becomes a baron/count/duchess/prince because they rule over a settlement that is of sufficiant size and importance.  It is the really your settlement that is rewarded with the status not your lead character even as the character simply enjoys the attributed status of whatever from being the beurocratic head of said settlement. 

For this reason we get the numerous goblin nobles in dwarf civilizations as discussed in my other thread.  Your 'duke' is more like the head of the settlements Politburo than a duke in the Feudal sense.  The king/queen is the supreme leader.

None of that is final (and probably never will be). I'm not saying that things are currently representative of historical feudalism, I was just suggesting that they should be taken in that direction.  We already have the nomenclature, it's clearly in line with the theme of the game, it is appropriate to the technological era, and it might be fun, so why not?

Scruiser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2014, 11:09:35 pm »

Alright I've done some arguing back and forth and this thread, and I think we had some productive exchanges, but most of it was focused on the long term development of the economy, so I'll shift focus to some short term ideas.

Currency debasement, IRL, various empires would dilute the alloys that made up their coinage as their financial situations got stranged.  I think alertrelic and a few others have mentioned coinage.  Obviously the FUN of having currency debasement would be to watch entire empires crumble around you.  The player could accelerate or start the process, or conversely issue their own currency, or try to save the world economy.  To implement this, Toady will need to implement more alloys, or better yet, a generalized system for alter the ratios of alloys.  Debased gold/debased silver/debased bronze could be the regular alloy cut with other materials.

Also with currency, procedural generating the process by which metals obtain value.  In some worlds, black bronze or rose gold could be more valuable for cultural or practical reasons.  The game checks for rare metals at various points in a civilization's history, and at these points the civillization could shift to valuing one metal or another and decide to base their currency on it.

Loans.  Civilization that allow them get easier financing on key capital investments (world gen mega projects, roads, new settlements) and can advance faster, but in turn may suffer from economic collapse from over investment.  Civilizations that disallow them for ethics/historical reasons don't get these trade-offs.  And then there is the medieval christian solution of only allowing those that are not part of your belief system work as bankers (hence racist Jewish money tropes).  Goblin money lender in the dwarfish civ anyone? (Please don't make jokes about real life ethnic groups that will get this thread locked... focus them on fantastical races)

GoblinCookie mentioned feudalism... given the current player perception of dwarf nobility, it would be totally in character for a noble to try fixing prices and causing economic disaster, both in game and in world gen.

Also thinking about dwarfish attitudes towards economics... imagine during world gen some dwarf growing obsessed and locking themselves away... but they are not a necromancer, but an economist.  In the year 605 Urist McAdamsSmith discovered the secrets of supply and demand.  In 610 Urist McAdamsSmith wrote the secrets of supply and demand on a cow leather book.  In 620, a revolt was inspired by the knowledge of supply and demand in response to the dwarf Queens taxation policy...  Okay obviously the flavor text was a joke, but it would be interesting to have economic minded historical figure invent various theories and to let their impact play out. The cycle of secret discovery, followed by knowledge recording, followed by propagation of knowledge would fit well. 

So what do you guys think?  Any other fun small ideas?  Sorry for wall of text, this is one of those suggestion threads that really draws the philosophizing.
Things I have never done in Dwarf Fortress;

- Won.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2014, 06:59:45 am »

Oh don't misunderstand; I understand economic forces are constant and the theories we use to describe them are what changes, much like how physics are constant and our theories to explain them are constantly refined. What I'm saying is that MMT has holes in it and cannot be the basis of the system, but can be a model players use to interact with that system. A player could run his dwarf economy through high rents and issued currency as a means of forcing dwarves to work, which is the core of MMT as I understand it. Or a player could run his economy through central command means, or through free markets...

Basically, if there were ever a game to simulate an economy and not merely pretend to have an economy, this is the game. We have every nail on every finger of a dwarf, lets have every economic nuance as well (in Dwarf Mode, at least).

I by contrast understand economics to be fundermentally unstable and ultimately determined by social/political systems (themselves determined by psychology/ideology).  An economic system is built upon political assumptions about social/legal system and human nature.  Economics thus does not really advance, it simply shifts depending upon the changing balance of political powers in an evolving political system. 

Therefore the applicability of real-life economics to dwarf fortress is not there because there is so little similarity between the social/political system of dwarf fortress and that of real-life (except for ideal communism, which does not exist).  If someone wants to advocate changing the economic system they must identify an economic problem in-game and proposing a solution rather than trying to apply real-world abstract economic theories to the game.

None of that is final (and probably never will be). I'm not saying that things are currently representative of historical feudalism, I was just suggesting that they should be taken in that direction.  We already have the nomenclature, it's clearly in line with the theme of the game, it is appropriate to the technological era, and it might be fun, so why not?

Except that genuinely doing this would totally require the whole game mechanics to be so overhauled so radically that it would not even be the same game.  You would have the whole of dwarf fortress totally overhauled in order to implement a social/political/economic order that is against basic game mechanics as they presently stand. 

Dwarf fortress is based upon collective production, central planning and common property.  Feudalism is based upon individual production, semi-market economics and private property.  It is not that there is any problem with you creating a feudal version of dwarf fortress, it is just a completely different game. 

Yes the nomenclature may be feudal but it is also a translation. What they are actually called may not actually have a direct equivilant in english, meaning that we end up calling them an approximation; even when the approximation is not literally speaking the same as what is normally meant by the word. 

Dorf and Dumb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2014, 07:58:03 am »

It won't really qualify as capitalism as we know it until the orphans are skilling up in blowjobs.

sculleywr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2014, 10:59:17 pm »

Oh don't misunderstand; I understand economic forces are constant and the theories we use to describe them are what changes, much like how physics are constant and our theories to explain them are constantly refined. What I'm saying is that MMT has holes in it and cannot be the basis of the system, but can be a model players use to interact with that system. A player could run his dwarf economy through high rents and issued currency as a means of forcing dwarves to work, which is the core of MMT as I understand it. Or a player could run his economy through central command means, or through free markets...

Basically, if there were ever a game to simulate an economy and not merely pretend to have an economy, this is the game. We have every nail on every finger of a dwarf, lets have every economic nuance as well (in Dwarf Mode, at least).

I by contrast understand economics to be fundermentally unstable and ultimately determined by social/political systems (themselves determined by psychology/ideology).  An economic system is built upon political assumptions about social/legal system and human nature.  Economics thus does not really advance, it simply shifts depending upon the changing balance of political powers in an evolving political system. 

Therefore the applicability of real-life economics to dwarf fortress is not there because there is so little similarity between the social/political system of dwarf fortress and that of real-life (except for ideal communism, which does not exist).  If someone wants to advocate changing the economic system they must identify an economic problem in-game and proposing a solution rather than trying to apply real-world abstract economic theories to the game.

The problem is that there IS economy under a feudal system AND in Dwarf Fortress. Let's say you managed to gen a game where the goblins have been completely wiped out, and placed a fortress in the calmest biome you can imagine where the most dangerous enemy you face is a tantruming bunny (which would be completely the most functionally boring fortress ever, because there would be no fun). Further, let's assume that you managed to find the one location with no candy (oh dear God NO!).

Well, you have a limited amount of dirt on which to build farm plots. You could take the time to flood your fortress while burrowing everyone outside until the water drained out, but you would still be limited in how much farmland by the simple problem of space. We're going to assume that you want to have industries running. You'll also want to build bedrooms and dining halls. This is simply getting the basics of what you need to run a fortress. You'll need space for the plumbing if you want to do controlled flooding to flood portions of each floor for farming.

And now comes the history major in me. Even under a feudal-era, there were daily wages. Usually, the daily wage was its own denomination in the local monarch/count/duke/regent's currency. This was a process borrowed from biblical times when a day's wage was a Dinarius. So there was a minimum wage in effect. This wage was enforced by making specific markings to prevent people from filing down the sides of the coin to make counterfeits, as well as other methods to prevent false payments.

So, let's assume that, when the aristocrats show up or are appointed, they start a currency. Let's also assume that Toady wants to simulate a feudal economy. There would automatically be a market force called minimum wage. In addition, you add the forces of space scarcity, resource scarcity (no candy in your gen would mean that the only way to get candy items is through trade, which I have never seen happen), and labor scarcity. IF you get up to a thousand dwarves, that is a lot of workshops to manage (not to mention an FPS hog with all the pathing). Your manager could help with assigning the jobs, but you would definitely NEED a bookkeeper.

Now, DF has the added FUN of mandates. Let's say the Baron mandates the production of Red Spinel items (a la Headshoots). Now, you would need a jail if you didn't want to risk a hammering leading to a tantrum spiral because you have no red spinel to make stuff from. That is a market force that has nothing to do with politics and everything to do with supply. Supply is something you can't politicize no matter what you try.

Besides, half of the FUN of the game is that it is unpredictable. That is just like life. Politics DOES have an effect on economy. How your government is set up has a marked effect on your economy. Despotic countries have bad economies, while more modern pseudo-democracies have better economies. Feudal economy is its own monster and was, in reality, very much like the Roman economy without the Roman empire. It was marked with discrepancies in currencies that moneychangers were made necessary for.

Now, what I agree with you on is that economy SHOULD be optional. However, if we do economy, we have to do it right. I, for one, would love to have an economic system, mostly because I hate assigning the bedrooms individually.

What I am disagreeing on it whether or not it is an understandable force. This much is true: we can quantify and predict certain economic trends and forces. There are, still, others that are unpredictable. And that should be simulated in a DF economy.
I had one get happy again... After producing a bed made from their own husband's body.
I once  had a fort called paddledbottom in the plains of spanking founded by the painful punishment
And so, in a thread about cointainers with usele

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2014, 04:22:38 pm »

The problem is that there IS economy under a feudal system AND in Dwarf Fortress. Let's say you managed to gen a game where the goblins have been completely wiped out, and placed a fortress in the calmest biome you can imagine where the most dangerous enemy you face is a tantruming bunny (which would be completely the most functionally boring fortress ever, because there would be no fun). Further, let's assume that you managed to find the one location with no candy (oh dear God NO!).

The issue here is that owing to the completely different political system of Dwarf Fortress, the economies are completely different and not really comparable either.

Well, you have a limited amount of dirt on which to build farm plots. You could take the time to flood your fortress while burrowing everyone outside until the water drained out, but you would still be limited in how much farmland by the simple problem of space. We're going to assume that you want to have industries running. You'll also want to build bedrooms and dining halls. This is simply getting the basics of what you need to run a fortress. You'll need space for the plumbing if you want to do controlled flooding to flood portions of each floor for farming.

And now comes the history major in me. Even under a feudal-era, there were daily wages. Usually, the daily wage was its own denomination in the local monarch/count/duke/regent's currency. This was a process borrowed from biblical times when a day's wage was a Dinarius. So there was a minimum wage in effect. This wage was enforced by making specific markings to prevent people from filing down the sides of the coin to make counterfeits, as well as other methods to prevent false payments.

Money then is productive in real-life feudalism.  Money is unproductive in dwarf fortress communism.  That is the difference that shows how the basic political system determines the basic facts of the economy.

So, let's assume that, when the aristocrats show up or are appointed, they start a currency. Let's also assume that Toady wants to simulate a feudal economy. There would automatically be a market force called minimum wage. In addition, you add the forces of space scarcity, resource scarcity (no candy in your gen would mean that the only way to get candy items is through trade, which I have never seen happen), and labor scarcity. IF you get up to a thousand dwarves, that is a lot of workshops to manage (not to mention an FPS hog with all the pathing). Your manager could help with assigning the jobs, but you would definitely NEED a bookkeeper.

Now, DF has the added FUN of mandates. Let's say the Baron mandates the production of Red Spinel items (a la Headshoots). Now, you would need a jail if you didn't want to risk a hammering leading to a tantrum spiral because you have no red spinel to make stuff from. That is a market force that has nothing to do with politics and everything to do with supply. Supply is something you can't politicize no matter what you try.

Anyone can mint coins that has the neccesery expertise.  There is no need however *for* coins because in the present political order of things, nobody gets paid and everyone is still happy to work hard.  Why invent something that is.

a) Needless.
b) Destructive.

Having a scarce resource that directly constrains production (money) is not generally a good idea.  Whoever introduced it in a functional cash-free economic system such a dwarf fortress would be a combination of idiot, monster and madmen all at the same time.

Besides, half of the FUN of the game is that it is unpredictable. That is just like life. Politics DOES have an effect on economy. How your government is set up has a marked effect on your economy. Despotic countries have bad economies, while more modern pseudo-democracies have better economies. Feudal economy is its own monster and was, in reality, very much like the Roman economy without the Roman empire. It was marked with discrepancies in currencies that moneychangers were made necessary for.

The existance of otherwise of a basic material is not economics, it is geography.

Despotic countries frequently have good economies (Nazi Germany, Pinochet's Argentina and Modern China).  It is likely more that bad economies contribute to despotism than despotism contributes to bad economies.  In the propoganda of freedom and democracy it creates wealth, yet the world is full of countries that have implemented democratic reforms only to face continued economic ruin.  Correlation and Causation folks. 

Now, what I agree with you on is that economy SHOULD be optional. However, if we do economy, we have to do it right. I, for one, would love to have an economic system, mostly because I hate assigning the bedrooms individually.

What I am disagreeing on it whether or not it is an understandable force. This much is true: we can quantify and predict certain economic trends and forces. There are, still, others that are unpredictable. And that should be simulated in a DF economy.

The dwarves can already choose their own bedrooms if you let them.  All the system needs is automation of various tasks (like bedroom making).  All we really need to solve the bedroom problem is an an automated program to create X number of size X rooms on this corridor. 
Pages: 1 2 [3]