Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dogs  (Read 764 times)

CancerousCthulhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dogs
« on: August 01, 2014, 10:37:49 am »

So in my latest fort with -1000 degree temperatures, my only real source of meat is the offspring of my 29 dogs I embarked with. How fast do puppies reach adulthood?
Guys I don't think we want to mess with using dwarves as fusion material here. Be careful.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
Re: Dogs
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 10:50:28 am »

It takes one year for puppies to grow up.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Swonnrr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 10:55:01 am »

The raw says [CHILD:1].
That means they go from childs to adults after one year.
[BABY:#] is the same for baby->child (or adult if no child tag) transition and [MAXAGE:X:Y] is how long the creature is expected to live.

I was about to tell you to read the wiki, before noticing that it wasn't on it (unless you dug through the raws).

I'm going to repost this into the wiki thread: I consider this age thing a fairly important information.
If peoples agree, I suggest to add it to the creature pages on the wiki.

CancerousCthulhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 10:57:36 am »

[BABY:#] is the same for baby->child (or adult if no child tag) transition and [MAXAGE:X:Y] is how long the creature is expected to live.

I was about to tell you to read the wiki, before noticing that it wasn't on it (unless you dug through the raws).

I'm going to repost this into the wiki thread: I consider this age thing a fairly important information.
If peoples agree, I suggest to add it to the creature pages on the wiki.

Yeah, I always check the wiki thoroughly before asking on the forums, but I just have no experience with the RAWs. Maybe someday, but not today.

I would also have to agree that the age for adulthood should be listed on at least all domestic/tameable creatures wiki pages. I would certainly help if I knew how to find this info.
Guys I don't think we want to mess with using dwarves as fusion material here. Be careful.

Necrisha

• Bay Watcher
  • 0.0 0.o o.0 o.o -.- zzzZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 11:03:38 am »

You'd want to wait a year after they become adults-I seem to recall something in the butchery section in the wiki suggesting animals reach their maximum size one year after adulthood.
EDIT: Keas restricted to tropical forests where they belong.  Those evil, EVIL, foul little things.

Edit: The baby murderer became a friend of the fortress, which started a loyalty cascade, and now most of the squad is dead.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 11:04:47 am »

This just means the creature has reached reproductive maturity, I believe.  It doesn't mean it's fully grown.  Dogs also have these tags:
Code: [Select]
        [BODY_SIZE:0:0:1000]
        [BODY_SIZE:1:0:12500]
        [BODY_SIZE:2:0:30000]

Which means they're size 1000 at birth, size 12500 at 1 year (when they reach "adulthood"), and size 30000 at 2 years.  Plus or minus individual variance.

Unfortunately there's no way to tell, in game, how old a given dog is (except puppies).  So it's not easy to tell when they're fully grown and ready for the slaughterhouse.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Necrisha

• Bay Watcher
  • 0.0 0.o o.0 o.o -.- zzzZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 11:09:12 am »

Unless you play with cage/pasture management for that purpose.
EDIT: Keas restricted to tropical forests where they belong.  Those evil, EVIL, foul little things.

Edit: The baby murderer became a friend of the fortress, which started a loyalty cascade, and now most of the squad is dead.