Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Attack range of megabeasts?  (Read 425 times)

beefsupreme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Attack range of megabeasts?
« on: August 01, 2014, 01:06:32 pm »

I've had a lot of trouble luring megabeast attacks in the past, so for my next save I've been using legend viewer to locate megabeast populations in this world. I know the locations of the lairs of each of the surviving megabeasts. My ultimate goal is breeding rocs or dragons (I've added the child tag to dragons, so I think that's enough), so I need to pick a site that's in between the lairs of a male and female, or a site that contains a lair and is within range of another. The only problem is that I have no idea how far they'll roam to attack my fort. Does it vary by species? Is it dependent on fortress wealth? Does location matter at all? I'm having trouble finding any information on this, so anything you know helps.

MinethatCrackers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Attack range of megabeasts?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 01:18:00 pm »

In my experience, megabeasts are willing to come pretty far to attack a wealthy fort. Just try to pick a spot in between the two lairs.

LarsGerhard

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERYTHING IS FINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 01:24:11 pm »

Note that you didn't need to add child tags to the dragons. Toady "went ahead and allowed egg-layers to have viable eggs without having a baby/child state." so in .05 they should just be able to create "adult" dragons without requiring a child step.

EvilBob22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 04:00:28 pm »

Ooh, like tribbles: able to breed right after being born.
I will run the experiment to completion anyway, however. Even if the only reason why there is a punctured equilibrium in the fortress is because I have been brutally butchering babies
EDIT: I just remembered that dwarves can't equip halberds. That might explain why the squads that use them always die.