Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Queen arriving too early?  (Read 418 times)

SarZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Queen arriving too early?
« on: July 31, 2014, 12:58:24 am »

Hi, my queen arrived too early. I only have some 20 dwarves and I did not even finish the first year yet. However, I already have a queen with massive demands. It did not show up in the announcements list as that a king/queen has arrived. Also no entourage come with her. It appears she was in the first wave of migrants, but at that time I only saw her as a regular dwarf.
Perhaps on a related note, my first dwarven caravan arrived without liason. The message was something like "No laison from the mountainhome. How curious..."

Does anyone know if this is normal, and what triggered it?

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
Re: Queen arriving too early?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 01:30:42 am »

Happens all the time now in 40.x, because initial NPC dwarven civs are wiped out by forgotten beasts, so there are no dwarves in the world.  The game generates the first two migrant waves randomly, and then promotes one of the starting seven (or a migrant) and you're left dealing with a lethal punching noble.

It's annoying as hell, and far too frequent, imo. 

I see it as a bug, but opinions will doubtless vary.

SarZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 03:34:09 am »

That explains a lot!
Wait, dwarves are wiped out? What about goblins, elves, humans? Are they wiped out too, can I still get sieges, ambushes, etc? Those are the most fun after all ;-)

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 06:05:44 am »

Normally only one civ is wiped out. In my game it's Humans. See the regionX-world_sites_and_pops.txt file you get (when exporting images?).
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

SarZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 06:23:16 am »

Thanks, that would have been my next question, of how to check that. I don't care much for humans, but I do want to have the dwarfs, goblins and elves around. Dwarfs for the trade of goods, elves for the occasional rare beast and goblins for more fun.
Do you know any way to check that in-game when I just generated a new world?

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 06:28:00 am »

Its quite possible that your dwarves have not actually been wiped out, but just that the queen has been killed/died (though that cant bode well for the rest).  It's entirely possible that your migrant was the crown princess and you just didn't realise until she inherited.  Inheritence works properly down family lines now, yet I do seem to recall te game pausing and triggering a pop-up alert to let me know one of my dwarves had just inherited 'baroness'.

Hit 'c' for civs and select the dwarven civ to see what sort of noble structure they have, if they are genuinely destroyed then it might lead to oddities like no liaisons/migrants, but you ought to see a liaison named on that 'civ' screen.  (I've never seen a message indicating that I was *not* recieving a liaison, very odd.)

You check this properly by generating a world, then right as it finishes (or you interrupt it) you are given the option to discard it, use it, keep running history and *export images*.  If you have already embarked then go to the 'Esc menu' and choose export local image.  This generates the same files as the previous method, replacing a region map for z-level maps of your fort.  But both methods gen the site_and_pops file that you really want.  It will appear in the game-folder beside the exe. (If making the file from a running fort then deselect all the z-levels before exporting the local image to get just the pop/site file without dozens of bmps.)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 06:34:52 am by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

SarZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 10:28:32 am »

I checked the world and it seems no civs were wiped out at all. So perhaps it's a bug, or something I don't know yet. Anyway, I abandoned any will try again.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 11:13:15 am »

two things to check... sites & populations and which civ you use to embark with.

If you embark with a civ that has no leaders, you'll get a leader as one of your starting seven, or in the first two migrations, and they'll be instantly promoted, and start punching people to death.

If a civ has no dwarves, or a combination of dwarves & goblins, or only goblins (yes, this happens, despite being called "dwarven"), and you embark with it, the same thing will happen.

What you need is a dwarven civ, that you can select during embark, that has enough dwarves (I typically go with 100+ to be safe) to have all leadership noble positions filled, with no goblins, in an actual fortress, not a hillock.

Then, and only then, from what I've seen so far, YMMV, will the game play be similar to 34.11, with respect to progression (barony, county, duchy, mountainhome).