Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Danger room problem in 0.40.04  (Read 3805 times)

Bates

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Danger room problem in 0.40.04
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2014, 08:31:02 am »

Since nobody answered the op with the real reason on why his dwarves died, I will do it then.

In vanilla df cartilage doesn't heal (from which the nose and ears are made of) and your medical staff won't touch them.
In 0.34 this caused the nose and ears to get an infection which wouldn't heal and in time it would kill your dwarves of.
But it looks like in 0.40 those wounds also bleed and since they won't get bandaged, your dwarves die off due to blood loss very quickly.
Before I remembered to fix the tissue templetas, I had this happen to one of my military dwarves, he died to blood loss from ear wounds.

Oh and the same goes for nails, they won't heal either.

Bartok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2014, 10:37:17 am »

Cool, thanks Bates.

So would I be correct in assuming that adding a healing rate to cartilage would allow noses and ears to heal, and prevent the dwarfs from bleeding to death?

Bates

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2014, 10:59:14 am »

Yes. I put the healing rate to 1000 which is the same as bones.
You should also add it to nails, dwarves can die from infected nails...

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2014, 11:37:10 am »

I hope the healing and sparring are both fixed in the next patch.

Shadow_Hornet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2014, 11:53:21 am »

I have found that my dwarfs are training their weapon skills even if they aren't using the weapons in their spars. I used DwarfTherapist to check if their skills were going up as they were sparing and saw that they are in fact going up it's just very slow vs their wrestler skills.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 12:33:10 pm by Shadow_Hornet »

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2014, 01:45:30 pm »

I have found that my dwarfs are training their weapon skills even if they aren't using the weapons in their spars. I used DwarfTherapist to check if their skills were going up as they were sparing and saw that they are in fact going up it's just very slow vs their wrestler skills.

Dwarves won't spar 100% of the time, even when their squad is Active/Training with the default Train order.  They'll still do some demonstrations and individual weapon drills from time to time.

If you are just sampling the dwarven skill levels a few times a year, and not actually watching what they're doing, then I bet you're just seeing the weapon skill increases from non-sparring training activities.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2014, 02:52:29 pm »

LOL. I had a migrant arrive with a missing ear. I think he came with the first migrant wave 11 years ago. I just fixed the tissue template raws, and he promptly headed to the hospital, waiting for diagnosis now. In the description, it seems his ear went from 'missing' to 'fractured'.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Shadow_Hornet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2014, 03:09:12 pm »

when they were sparing I looked at the number skill level they had then let the game go a few steps and checked again and saw the numbers were higher than when I last checked.

edit: now I try it again and I don't seem to see the numbers going up anymore...

Well then on to trying out my 1st danger room.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 03:15:30 pm by Shadow_Hornet »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2014, 06:51:36 pm »

Do demonstrations/combat drills work better these days?
AFAIK demonstrations/drills still depend heavily on the teacher and student skills, so things like the Drunken master start where you start with a bunch of teacher dwarves for demonstrations work, but elsewise there isn't any change, no.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2014, 06:58:48 pm »

do danger rooms train discipline? I was under the impression that they didn't.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Authority2

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: INCREASE_FPS: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2014, 09:27:01 pm »

My first squad trained up fine, except for some facial injuries (ears, noses, teeth).  However they all went pale, then eventually died.

Those injuries don't tend to get medical attention, and I've never seen them lead to bleeding to death before.

Has anyone else run into this?  Or am I just unlucky?
I think I saw a bug report about wounds from knocked out teeth never healing and bleeding way too much. Check their teeth.
"But I tell you what the Queen wants is impossible. The story of her mandate to create floodgates in our desert fortress cannot be told in less than 314160 stanzas! Art bows not to any dwarf!"

DiacetylMorphine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2014, 06:52:59 am »

back in 34.11 i had a dead dward thx to the wiki setup of single tile danger room (10 spears are way to much). If you whant to avoid problems go for 1 or 2 spears and make sure they got at least helmets.

at least that's my experience of it (not sure why tho. I had assume a single hit for 10 spears would do the same than 10 hit from a single, but i never loosed a dwarf with single spears).

Fujuki

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2014, 10:35:06 am »

I have the same situation and I really dont want to lose this dwarf. Can you guys tell me how to add the healing rate to cartilage?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2014, 10:58:49 am »

1) Save and exit.
2) go to your dwarffortress\data\save\region1\raw\objects directory and open the file called tissue_template_default.txt with notepad
3) press ctrl-F to search the file for "cartilage"
4) add the line [HEALING_RATE:1000] to the cartilage section
5) repeat steps 3 and 4 for "nail"
6) save and exit notepad.

start back up df, and play. Your dwarf should get to hospital on his own, I don't think a bleeding ear incapacitates them enough to not be able to walk there.

You can do the same to the identical file in your dwarffortress\raw\objects directory. That will only affect the next world you gen though. To save your dwarf now, you need to edit the save raws.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 11:01:24 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Fujuki

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2014, 11:43:05 am »

Thx man, you're a lifesaver. As you can tell, I'm not really all that confident messing with an unstable release's raws.
Pages: 1 [2]