Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adamantine Veins  (Read 582 times)

Bob Dylan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Adamantine Veins
« on: July 30, 2014, 03:38:12 pm »

Are there more than one of them? From all my fortresses over the years I've only ever found 1, and I've always dug to deep and greedily resulting in !!FUN!! It would be great if I could prolong my fortress for a bit longer with even just 1 extra adamantine vein. Am I just unlucky?

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adamantine Veins
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 03:54:17 pm »

Yes. More than one adamantine spiral is capable of spawning. Maybe your fort embark zone is too small to accommodate more spirals?
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 03:55:29 pm »

From the Wiki,

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So essentially, if you embark with a 3x3 embark, lined up to the grid, you are almost guaranteed to have a candy vein. You might just be unlucky, or not looking enough.

Bob Dylan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 04:00:53 pm »

Thanks for all the responses. I guess ill go hunting for more veins! Maybe feed some demons whilst I'm at it.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 08:11:26 pm »

If you don't mind a slight hijack: I mined out some candy VERY early in my fort's lifespan (volcano embark + controlled cave-in = instant discovery of candy) but the king hasn't shown up.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 08:53:26 pm »

If you don't mind a slight hijack: I mined out some candy VERY early in my fort's lifespan (volcano embark + controlled cave-in = instant discovery of candy) but the king hasn't shown up.

I thought that he/she also needed a high population.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 09:02:27 pm »

You can definitely get more than one candy vein per embark and they can vary greatly in size. Look for embarks with great depth if you want lots of candy. You can find veins many dozens of Z levels in height in some cases.

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 09:10:42 pm »

In addition to the information on the Wiki, there can only be a maximum of 5 veins, regardless of how large the map is - essentially the veins max out for around a 6x6 embark.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 09:28:43 pm »

I thought I read that the monarch would show up dressed as a migrant if one discovered adamantine early.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

samanato

• Bay Watcher
  • @ Gardevoirite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2014, 12:01:43 am »

I thought I read that the monarch would show up dressed as a migrant if one discovered adamantine early.

As far as I know, this hasn't worked since .31.25 and its reworking of noble positions.