Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Looking for a semi-simulated game  (Read 1932 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a semi-simulated game
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2014, 12:51:52 am »

Sim earth.
in theory you are expected to manage a planet but you can ignore everything and just leave it to do its thing.

Load 1990 Earth scenario. Let it run without interference (or turn up fossil fuel use). Human use of fossil fuels eventually results in a runaway greenhouse effect, boiling off the oceans, killing all life on Earth permanently. Or at least that's what would happen when I loaded that scenario in the PC version, and let it run without turning fossil fuels way down.

(SimEarth came out in 1990, if you didn't know)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2014, 01:22:06 am »

Well not "permanently" you would be surprised what hellish nightmares some species can live in.

I still remember my desert planet that had a decent lizard population.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2014, 03:16:52 am »

I have never played it (yet) and it doesn't sound like exactly what you want but you might want to take a look at AI War: Fleet Command.

There's a thread here;

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=41107.0

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2014, 03:27:38 am »

Distant worlds can be left to be completely automated. A friend of mine puts it on super high automation and basically only makes choices on big decisions (going to war/peace mainly). You can interfere as much as you want, but as the automation works exactly like the AI, you can still win just with automation. It does get very messy towards the end (with tons of fleets all attacking/getting attacked) so eventually you HAVE to turn on automation anyway. Very pricey though and certainly not for everyone.

AI War isn't really automated in the same way - it's just a massive scale RTS (although you can set things buildings to automatically churn out and send units, so I guess it's kinda automated).

There are a few older dos games with what you're looking for. King of Dragon pass is kinda like what you want, and there are a few others like it.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.
Pages: 1 [2]