Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Problem with Stockpiles  (Read 317 times)

Blingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Problem with Stockpiles
« on: July 27, 2014, 01:46:13 pm »

Hi there. Asking here (in Gameplay) in the first instance as I'm a complete noob here, so can't be confident if this is a bug or not.
I'm playing df_40_04_win and and in the process of building my first fortress. The problem is this:

Whenever I try and create a Stockpile using the p key I cannot seem to set any designation other than the default: Animal.
I am able to create the region and when I redesignate (using r and w specifically) the designation does appear to change but is cancelled upon quitting out of the stockpile menu (esc key). Whenever I go back into the menu the designation has changed back to Animal.

While I remain in the menu with the required designation set the dwarves do as required (eg leave wood in the stockpile) but this stops as soon I quit out.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 02:01:32 pm by Blingo »

Blingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Problem with Stockpiles
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 02:07:47 pm »

OK. I seem to have got confused. I can create a new stockpile of the required type if I select the designation before drawing the area.

I think I must have had the wrong designation chosen before drawing the region and then tried to change from animal to what I originally required (refuse). Is it possible to redesignate a stockpile?

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 02:08:20 pm »

It's not clear what you're doing here.

If you want to create, say, a wood stockpile... you press p w, then you move the cursor to one of the corners, press Enter, move the cursor to the opposite corner, and press Enter again.

The same goes for other kinds of stockpiles; you simply press some other letter besides w.

I think I must have had the wrong designation chosen before drawing the region and then tried to change from animal to what I originally required (refuse). Is it possible to redesignate a stockpile?

Yes, you can change what gets stored in the stockpile after it has been designated.  You press q and move the cursor to the stockpile.  This gives you the screen where you can change the number of allowed wheelbarrows, barrels and bins, and create links to other stockpiles and workshops.  If you press s, you get to a second screen where you can specify exactly what kinds of items are stored.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 02:10:44 pm by greycat »
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Blingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 02:14:35 pm »

Yeah, sorry about that. I was doing it the wrong way round. ie drawing the rectangle and then trying to designate. I think perhaps I was getting confused with the zones which have this behaviour. Feel free to delete this thread.

Blingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 02:21:43 pm »

Oh. I missed your edit. Thanks for the solution and sorry for the confusion.