Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What is an "average" world setup and embark location choice?  (Read 1046 times)

TheFreshPrince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm a returning player looking to get back into the game with an average, "normal" world setup and embarkation choice, one that is going to provide a challenge but not be brutally difficult or easy. I've forgotten alot about the game so I figured I'd ask here what you guys would choose given that criteria.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
Re: What is an "average" world setup and embark location choice?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 04:35:55 pm »

The typical worlds generated by the default templates work well enough, you can just remove all the evil bits and the only real threat you'll have to face is goblins. (no vampires, no necromancers, no werewolves, no blistering blood rain, etc)

With the way the background world works in fortress mode, now, it's ... difficult to predict how hard or easy an embark will be, unless you embark near a Necromancer tower.   In that case, you're almost certain to have a siege of some size within the first few seasons.

I haven't read of anyone determining what attracts goblins to your fortress, now.  Once that's discovered, difficulty will be much easier to predict.

As always, you can turn off invaders in your init files, prepare your fort, and then turn it back on when you're ready.

Flarp

• Bay Watcher
  • and tearing apart the self-esteem!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 04:48:35 pm »

I'd say a Wilderness Biome with goblin neighbors (but without a tower) in a cold, temperate, or warm biome constitutes the average embark - you get goblin sieges and the caverns, but no husking, year-round ice, huge amounts of animal people, etc.

The Good equivalent of Wilderness, Serene Mirthful, works too.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 06:07:04 am by Flarp »
He views any show of emotion as offensive, sees introspection as important, values self-control, and strongly believes that a peaceful and ordered society without dissent would be best. He believes that mastery of a skill is one of the highest pursuits, values nature, and finds romance distasteful. He holds well-laid plans and shrewd deceptions in the highest regard.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 08:29:57 pm »

There are some pretty serious balance issues with the new version that will make late game sieges quite unlikely or at least a very rare occurrence. If you want some sort of ongoing challenge I suggest embarking on the intersection between a normalish biome and a haunted or terrifying one.

If you want an easy embark, pick a non-evil biome.

One thing you should keep in mind is that you will likely be hit by a very early game bandit attack so be prepared for that. After that initial bandit attack it should be pretty much smooth sailing with only the occasional werebeast or mega fauna attack for the rest of time. Late game sieges are possible but don't count on one showing up.

Embarking right next to a necromancer's tower will also improve the challenge level.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 08:37:27 pm by Melting Sky »

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 10:40:39 pm »

I'd say a Wilderness Biome with goblin neighbors (but without a tower) in a cold, temperate, or warm biome constitutes the average embark - you get goblin sieges and the caverns, but no husking, year-round ice, huge amounts of animal people, etc.

The Good equivalent of Wilderness, Serene, works too.

The Good equivalent of Wilderness is Mirthful, actually.

For this version, I’ve been embarking in untamed wilds or joyous wilds areas, preferably with a necromancer tower nearby. Then I haven’t gotten very far in DF mode.......
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

RedSeven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 11:00:36 pm »

I would generate a standard world with minerals set to very frequent, if you use the lazy newbpack then turn of aquifers there before you generate the world. Look for a embark spot with a river for fishing and water, a soil layer for farming, shallow and deep metals to have some variety in metals and don't embark on spots with a evil biome.