Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 0.40 Silk farming  (Read 1064 times)

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
0.40 Silk farming
« on: July 24, 2014, 07:12:59 pm »

My dwarves finally managed to bag a GCS before the forgotten beasts wiped out their population. I set up a silk farm, but my spider appears completely uninterested in spewing webs at the bait in 0.40.04. A very similar setup worked just fine with web-spewing forgotten beasts in 0.40.02. Is anyone else having problems with silk farming, or is my spider just defective?

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 0.40 Silk farming
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 12:59:16 am »

I managed to get my silk farm running. Apparently GCS are quite discerning about targets for their webs; I couldn't get him to web any of my tame animals (though, when provided with even the most tenuous path he would gladly climb over and slaughter them). However, when I drafted a spare trader into a "special" squad and ordered him to patrol in front of the spider, the spider shot so many webs that the dwarf was completely stuck (in the prior version, webbed dwarves could very slowly creep away). I made a few modifications so that the bait dwarf would be reusable (limiting the spider's field of fire so that the dwarf would conveniently become permanently stuck on top of a remotely-activated hatch cover) and initiated large-scale production successfully.