Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Population cap?  (Read 498 times)

satan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Population cap?
« on: July 29, 2014, 12:58:38 pm »

I set my population cap to 15 but migrants keep coming. I have almost 30 dwarves now. Any idea why?

I also have a few other questions. Would it be possible to mod the game so that it would be possible to get goblin caravans? And would it be possible to make it so that all civilizations can settle wherever they want? I'd like to get caravans originating from haunted areas so that I could get glumprong more easily.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Population cap?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 01:05:31 pm »

Are you playing 40.05? The population cap was broken before that, but since then Toady has fixed it to actually work (and to work properly on the numbers directly now, no more of that silly "the caravan needs to report back" business).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 01:10:32 pm »

The first two migrant waves are hardcoded. You will always get them despite population cap settings.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 01:11:56 pm »

The first two migrant waves are hardcoded. You will always get them despite population cap settings.
Are we still sure of that in 40.05? Toady did make some changes to the population cap settings after all.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

satan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 01:33:11 pm »

Are you playing 40.05? The population cap was broken before that, but since then Toady has fixed it to actually work (and to work properly on the numbers directly now, no more of that silly "the caravan needs to report back" business).

Ohhhh. I just realized I was playing 40.03. Thanks!
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

dree12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 01:48:08 pm »

Are we still sure of that in 40.05? Toady did make some changes to the population cap settings after all.

According to Toady, the first two migrant waves will still be generated, but they'll never actually get put on the fort map. There's no way to prevent them from being generated because population cap is a d_init and not a world setting. I'm not sure where the migrants go.