Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Building a sacrificial tower  (Read 2606 times)

Dzedajus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Building a sacrificial tower
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2014, 05:43:33 am »

I got related question to this topic.
I recently got vampire and want to keep him in good shape to produce nice stuff without him going insane or unproductive. Since vampires will drink blood from any unconscious creature, from what height I should drop goblins so that they loose consciousness without dieing?

qgloafhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2014, 07:51:57 am »

Whoa, thanks for all the educative replies. I'm still kind of a beginner, this is my first fort that survived more than one goblin invasion (finding out about danger rooms ftw). I didn't even dig through the first cave yet and I only have iron or steel at my disposal. Gotta go deeper, huh?
Anyway, started construction of a simple tower but the idea of one made of glass made me stop that and start making glass for that project.

ABurningMan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2014, 08:50:29 am »

This may have already been discussed, my apologies if it has, but to me, you can never go wrong with the standard 'drop and impale.'

Perhaps if you have the resources for it, a 25 + z level fall, with magma-safe upright spikes, and to deal with the so-called 'Shaft of Enlightenment' bug, make the death pit magma floodable. Then you would have a handy trash disposal system as well. Some design to only let the fluid reach 1/7, so that it evaporates on its own, rather than having to be pumped out.

Or you could time the drop, so that hilariously lethal clothes fall atop the pitted prisoners, unless that got fixed already.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2014, 11:13:13 am »

density affects fall damage? I wonder how the game handles a "0 density" material. And how high a drop is survivable onto said material. I know my next project!
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

qgloafhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2014, 04:11:22 am »

So, I've been wondering... can I design the entire tower at once or do I have to do it every z-level?

QubeNub

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2014, 07:58:54 am »

You will have to do it z level by level, it will say "Cannot access non-economic building material" or something like that because there is no path to the construction site yet (designation doesn't count as a valid path)

Grey Goo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Metallic
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2014, 08:10:56 am »

Tower... Hm... How about this kind of layout?:
Code: [Select]
###########
#X.......X#
#.#######.#
#.#     #.#
#.#     #.#
#.#     #.#
#.#     #.#
#.#     #.#
#.#######.#
#X.......X#
###########

Simple, requires no temporal platforms. Bottom and top design are your choice. I just give middle parts. Just remember you need build this floor by floor. Also walls are build last for each one...

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2014, 08:22:54 am »

Well, if you have a sharp peak available (or better yet a named one), you could have an embark with a cliff that reaches over 100z levels above the ground. You could easily dig out a death pillar from that if you don't care much for FPS.
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ABurningMan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2014, 08:27:21 am »

Somewhat like what the bacon monarch said, you could build a squat decorative tower atop a large pit that you dig out, then you would still have the 'religious/sacrificial' elements that you wish to include, but you do not actually have to build the tower.

Dorf and Dumb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2014, 10:54:21 am »

Build a tower if you want, but I say it's not a sacrifice to Armok if it doesn't end in an eerie glow.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2014, 11:25:01 am »

Build a tower if you want, but I say it's not a sacrifice to Armok if it doesn't end in an eerie glow.

Of course, the properly dorfy way to do it is to dig out a huge pit all the way down to the candy, and build a tower all the way back up centered on a hole through to the eerie glow.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.
Pages: 1 [2]