Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The oddities of ColdFortress  (Read 946 times)

Wumpi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The oddities of ColdFortress
« on: July 23, 2014, 10:08:48 pm »

My latest fortress has had several odd things happening of which some are likely bugs, while others are just curious.
First a bit of bugginess:
My human caravans are very unwilling to leave the trade depot. They stuck around with some 120 humans/animals for almost a year before I decided to dump all their goods into an atom smasher.
Next up, when my carpenter had a mood but could not path to the carpenter shop outside, my framerate dropped from 100 to about 15. Building another workshop indoors fixed it immediately.

Now some oddball stuff:
My fortress was carved inside the first cavern layer, in an oddly secluded portion of the cave. in 5 years, I had one giant toad visit, who has never left since. There is no map-edge access in the entire cave. oddly, FB's still spawned without notifying me, and promptly went "missing." I've got maybe 10 or so on my deceased units list despite never encountering one.

Despite embarking on a location that displayed WAR for humans and goblins, I have never had an ambush, thief, or siege from any civilization. The first and only siege I had was a mishmash of goblins, humans, and elves. They were terrified of my 2 soldiers, and were hacked to bits. I still receive caravans from both elves and humans. In the first year of playing, most of the rest of my civilization was apparently taken over by a goblin civ, and I was sent a goblin liaison afterwards.
I had all the requirements for invasions and megabeasts, and did have a hand full of cyclopses and giants attack.

Has anyone had similar experiences? I don't mind peacetime with the lesser species, but endless peace even with the goblins becomes boring. In 5 years, I have had 4 deaths, all of which were failed moods.

whatever1works

• Bay Watcher
  • *Flips table*
    • View Profile
Re: The oddities of ColdFortress
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 11:16:21 pm »

For one, i've never seen a caravan with that many people... i mean 120 you say?

About the carpenter issue; in my experience (for 40.xx) I've noticed that if a dwarf can't path to somewhere for whatever reason, my FPS drains dramatically.

For example, i retired a fort, and then un-retired, it was still a very small fort (hadn't even bothered to set up farms yet), but there were large portions of it that were 'undiscovered' (although that wasn't the case when i 1st retired it), any about half my dwarfs were stuck in the undiscovered portion, so i got huge pathing issues, and my FPS was at 1-2 until i could finally send someone down there to 'explore'.
I think it's a small bug TBH

About your cave, is it COMPLETELY cut off? Is it blocked at all Z-levels, and there is no water source entering it? Otherwise, maybe there's an undiscovered pocket somewhere or the forgotten beasts are spawning in the other layers (which may be a bug). Otherwise IDK

About the war stuff, your CIV being taken is pretty common nowadays since all invasions result in a win, regardless (except of course if the player is being sieged)
"Do you want some fish balls?", "No thanks I'll have a steak please"

Wumpi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 11:41:33 pm »

120-ish counting all the caged animals, wagons, and packmules. 120 units, not merchants.

I've tested a bit with retiring fortresses and visiting in adventure mode. If you seal off the caves and any areas you don't want your dwarves to wander to, they will not find their way to those locations. It seems they only go to places they can path to. Just seal off the caverns as much as possible before retiring. This didn't prevent my dwarves from climbing mushrooms and getting stuck, though.

Not completely. There's a small waterway nearby, but I've only had one giant toad visit from it. The cavern is very vertical, and there are a couple of ledges that ramp upward toward the ceiling. My attempts to explore with an adventurer led to a very fun climbing session followed by a very painful death. The cave is an excellent and safe place to occupy otherwise, though it lacks space.

As for invasions, would a world with a matching dwarf:goblin population see the dwarf civs stand stronger? My world has 1400 dwarves and 10000 goblins. I'll try another fortress soon, but it's disappointing that the rest of my civ got all the action. Meanwhile, my military are naming weapons that have never had a single kill.

Here's the main level of my cavern, for reference.
http://puu.sh/aoHjn/8dd3f513b3.png
The top right is the waterway, the rest is sealed from any map edges or other cavern space. The grassy bit is one of two spaces suitable for farming, and housing has been carved in the spires. Bottom left is an extremely convenient magma lake, with my gold block palace defending the entrance to the second cavern layer. Not that anything worse than a troll has ever come from there.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 11:46:41 pm by Wumpi »

Torrenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 04:04:25 am »

My 40.03 fort was doing great, even an early Goblin siege sometime in the first year (I'd had my inner gate complete, barely laid any traps yet...).  A single squad of goblins with mixed weapons.
And then three years of nothing.  No kobolds.  No goblins.  No giant badgers.  No noteworthy flocks of keas.  Not even a visit from the haughty elves.  Human merchants and homeland merchants only. 

My new (40.04) map is off to a promising start - an actual, honest(?) Kobold Thief before the first merchants.