Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dead teleport into coffins  (Read 1121 times)

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dead teleport into coffins
« on: July 24, 2014, 05:36:46 pm »

In the same way that items for strange moods sometimes teleport around, if you have dead bodies and you build coffins and place them, as soon as burial is enabled the dead teleport into them.

Handy, but still a bug.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Torrenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dead teleport into coffins
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 07:45:27 pm »

So... My Urist McHauler being horrified by the corpse in the river is... delusional and seeing things?   Clearly I must be also, as I can spot the corpse in the river, of Urist McDabblingTreeClimber.

I'm got clear evidence teleporting corpses is not a universal behavior.  Could you perhaps be confusing the assignment of a coffin to a dwarf with the interment of its remains?
//Torrenal

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 06:47:20 am »

Could very well be... the coffin just immediately becomes flagged "The resting place of Urist McCorpse" and the spirit never rises.  Still, I never saw the Farmer who was curbstomped by the FB on the way up the stairs get moved; the coffin was built, the body was gone, and the coffin was flagged with no dwarfly intervention.

*shrug*

Dunno.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 07:01:26 am »

The moment a coffin is built it gets reserved for the dead hopplehead if one's avaible.
Hovering with "t" above said coffin will show if his remains are inside or not.
The coffins get reserved even if the Hoppleheads cant reach the body in question.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 01:32:24 pm »

The moment a coffin is built it gets reserved for the dead hopplehead if one's avaible.

There's a bit of delay, actually.  Not a whole lot; about the amount of time it takes a dwarf to assign himself a low- to medium-priority job.  And of course it's not "when the coffin is built", but rather "when the built coffin is marked for burial".

But your guess that Iamblichos might have been mistaking "coffin marked as Urist's grave" with "coffin containing Urist's remains" is a pretty good guess.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz