Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: More complex furniture  (Read 753 times)

Durantinator

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
More complex furniture
« on: July 21, 2014, 08:14:53 pm »

Hello, this is my first post. I've played DF for about a year now and MWDF for about 1.5 months. It's a great mod.

From what I gather, many people enjoy it as it adds certain depths and realism to the game when it comes to reactions that aren't in the Vanilla game, ie Ore Processor, Crucible, etc. By adding this depth, it also allows certain jobs that aren't terribly useful in the Vanilla to be far more relevant like Machine Operator. Along this line, I had an idea. Maybe it has came up before, but I've never seen anything alluded to it.

Would it be possible to construct furniture, I'm thinking mainly about wood and stone furniture, in a two stage process. Fundamentally, it is quite simple:
Ph1 - Carpenter Shop/Masons Shop creates rough cabinet/door/etc using raw material and carpentry/masonry jobskill
Ph2 - Finishing shop/woodworking shop/sculpters shop or whatever finishes the item using the crafting skill

Whether an item that has been through Ph1 is usable or not is a matter of choice to the modder. If it isn't usable, then it is somewhat like Clay items that need firing. If it is usable, then it could have a vastly lowered value or even negative (splinters in the bed, a door that doesn't shut properly). After an item goes through Ph2, then it gains its standard value based on material and craftmanship as per.

I think something like this would make certain jobs, like woodcrafting, far more valuable. It's uncommon in the current build (although 4.04 with its super trees would change that dynamic) to have enough wood to have a massive craft industry unlike rock/bone/leather/cloth.

Anyways, just my .02.

Thanks

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: More complex furniture
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 08:30:32 pm »

Furniture can't be modded.

You could add extra steps to the furniture creation process, but not in the way you describe (carpenter and mason workshops can't have stuff added to them).