Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Everyone is terrified of War Dog  (Read 1719 times)

athenalras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Everyone is terrified of War Dog
« on: July 21, 2014, 10:50:29 am »

Another ?FUN? thing I've encountered in the recent version?

I bought along a war dog on my embark. It killed like a whole pack of weaselmen and hamstermen. That part is fine with me. The part that I'm not fine with is that in addition to all the other animals running away in fear, my dwarves become mortally afraid or terrified. They just cancel their job and run off like hell.

Seriously, I have a whole list on my announcements that says [dwarf] cancels [job]: horrified/mortally afraid.

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
Re: Everyone is terrified of War Dog
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 11:00:22 am »

Maybe it is covered in the dead creatures' blood? Or carries a severed limb in its mouth? Try pitting it into a pond, see if that fixes things.

athenalras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 11:05:59 am »

Yeah, its covered in many pages of blood. I guess I'll wash it see what happens. If it's not fixed I'll post again.

My whole fortress is unhappy because of this dog.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 11:10:35 am »

It's a beast of terror. Military trained dogs tend to terrify even friendly people. Don't forget the blood and the horrible stench. No wonder they're terrified.
._.

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 11:24:35 am »

Useful tip on taking a war dog at embark though. 31 points well spent!
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 12:57:44 pm »

I kill most animal people for fun. Annoying critters.
...and I think it is the blood in the dog. Wash it.

SanDiego

• Bay Watcher
  • I SEE IN YOUR SOUL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 01:11:54 pm »

I think that creatures get terryfied much too readily. I had a siege in my very first autumn consisting of just recruits and one bowgoblin whod got terrified and broke siege the moment one of their own initiated combat with my yak.
Welcome to Murdermachines. Try the gecko sauce; it's delectable and delightful, a wonderful blend of savory and spicy that makes any dish delicious without being too overwhelming.

(Warning: Do not ask about the manufacturing process for gecko sauce)
(Warning: Gecko sauce may cause acute respiratory failure on contact)

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 01:21:51 pm »

Is "Cleaning" was fixed then that wouldn't be an issue. However cleaning is so screwed up you have to use a 3rd party mode just to fix some of these issues.
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

Girubev

• Bay Watcher
  • You can talk to yourself; just win the argument...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 12:11:47 am »

I had a siege in my very first autumn consisting of just recruits and one bowgoblin whod got terrified and broke siege the moment one of their own initiated combat with my yak.

Found your new general. :P
Oh great, a Teddy Roosevelt Demon who can ban dwarves.
Just what you needed.

Urist McWangchuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 04:28:26 am »

On the plus side, being terrified trains Discipline. Pasture it somewhere unobtrusive, and then expose your dorfs to it in batches once you can spare the manpower.

"Beware its noxious secretions?  Whatever, that thing ain't half as scary as Fido McEatsHamstermen."
Let's take a moment to realize that with historical figures in armies, we can show enemy soldiers the dead bodies of their family members who were in the last wave.

And they will cry about it.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2014, 04:44:46 am »