Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: DF2014... FPS  (Read 2664 times)

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014... FPS
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2014, 03:24:46 pm »

Background history is definitely part of the game that should be run on another Core.
That would perhaps help speed up the game.

...that's a really good point. They only actually need to integrate with realtime gameplay at the beginning of each season, pretty much, which is the frequency of sieges, etc. That should be (relatively) easy to multicore!
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

lue

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:missing right bracket
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2014, 03:57:11 pm »

Background history is definitely part of the game that should be run on another Core.
That would perhaps help speed up the game.

...that's a really good point. They only actually need to integrate with realtime gameplay at the beginning of each season, pretty much, which is the frequency of sieges, etc. That should be (relatively) easy to multicore!

I wonder how multithreading would help for the turn-based adventure mode; probably something about processing simultaneous events simultaneously, I'm guessing. (I have no experience in multithreading programming, so I couldn't offer a good guess as to how things would be divided.)
Post not guaranteed accurate or pristine for all of time.
Sigtext. Enticing, yes? If you do not know where things I have "sigged" go, this page will explain.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2014, 04:26:29 pm »

Well there's a good chance it's too late now anyway, since he's already been coding this the last 2 years.

Basically, multithreading:
1) Is easier for things that need to check in with each other less often. Every single game tick = much harder and less effective than once a season.
2) Is much easier when done from the beginning of coding, and is almost impossible to retroactively put into existing code.

But just sayin, that's all. It would have been a good idea.

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2014, 04:30:21 pm »

The FPS issues are due to the world being simulated in the background. It needs some serious optimising that Toady hasn't quite got around to yet.

It's very unlikely that all the FPS problems are from world simulation.  Lots of other things (e.g. path spam) can cause it.

SquatchHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • A bit drafty
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2014, 05:05:15 pm »

The FPS issues are due to the world being simulated in the background. It needs some serious optimising that Toady hasn't quite got around to yet.

It's very unlikely that all the FPS problems are from world simulation.  Lots of other things (e.g. path spam) can cause it.

Most of the time it is pathfinding is the root cause of FPS drop. Thats why I do advanced worldgen to minimize the problems with tight corridors in the caverns.
That's technically an action, not a speech... Well it was only a matter of time before I had to write another scene of utter and horrifying perversion.

King of Candy Island.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2014, 05:17:05 pm »

Thats why I do advanced worldgen to minimize the problems with tight corridors in the caverns.
Technically, the worst is a large open space + narrow corridors nearby, where creatures go back and forth a lot.

Narrow corridors alone, or wide areas alone aren't all that bad.

I also suspect that most pathfinding lag is probably due to bugs and things, like repeatedly stopping and re-calcing at times when they shouldn't, or trying and failling infinitely to path into your fortress when there are no options, x300 animals every tick. Or trying to path infinitely through unloaded tiles, or crap like that. And/or horribly unoptimized things like pathing to every single boulder in the fortress to figure out which one is 1 tile closer, etc. Not so much corridor layout in any respect.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 05:19:15 pm by GavJ »

Pages: 1 [2]