Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Weapon Balance Check (Need feedback)  (Read 1605 times)

Shadowclaimer

• Bay Watcher
  • Looks like cat for dinner.
    • View Profile
Weapon Balance Check (Need feedback)
« on: August 12, 2014, 11:57:42 am »

Planning on adding these weapons to my mod, they're my first attempt at custom weapons and wanted to make sure my numbers weren't obscene or anything. If anyone could look over them and let me know if any numbers are too high/low or whatever, that'd be great.

Code: [Select]
item_civilization_weapon

[OBJECT:ITEM]

[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_KATAR] Fire Dwarven Weapon
[NAME:katar:katars]
[SIZE:250]
[SKILL:GRASP_STRIKE]
[TWO_HANDED:37500]
[MINIMUM_SIZE:32500]
[CAN_STONE]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:3]
[ATTACK:EDGE:5:1250:jab:jabs:NO_SUB:1250] Jabbing
[ATTACK_PREPARE_AND_RECOVER:3:3]
[ATTACK:EDGE:1000:600:slash:slashes:NO_SUB:1000] Slashing
[ATTACK:BLUNT:20000:600:slap:slaps:flat:1000] Flat Slapping

[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_PICKHAMMER] Stone Dwarven Weapon
[NAME:pickhammer:pickhammers]
[SIZE:400]
[SKILL:HAMMER]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:10:200:bash:bashes:NO_SUB:2000] Bash
[ATTACK:EDGE:20:10000:pierce:pierces:NO_SUB:1250] Pierce

[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_ICEAXE] Frost Dwarven Weapon
[NAME:ice axe:ice axes]
[SIZE:300]
[SKILL:AXE]
[ATTACK:EDGE:50:5000:rend:rends:NO_SUB:1500] Rend

[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_QUARTERSTAFF] Storm Dwarven Weapon
[NAME:quarterstaff:quarterstaves]
[SIZE:400]
[SKILL:SPEAR]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:5000:10000:sweep:sweeps:NO_SUB:1500] Sweep
[ATTACK:BLUNT:10000:6000:bash:bashes:shaft:1250] Bash

[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_FLAYER] Dark Dwarven Weapon
[NAME:flayer:flayers]
[SIZE:300]
[SKILL:WHIP]
[ATTACK:EDGE:10:50:lash:lashes:NO_SUB:2000] Lash
[ATTACK_FLAG_BAD_MULTIATTACK]

[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_SHORTBOW] Wild Dwarven Weapon
[NAME:shortbow:shortbows]
[SIZE:250]
[SKILL:SWORD]
[RANGED:BOW:ARROW]
[SHOOT_FORCE:1200]
[SHOOT_MAXVEL:800]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:10000:4000:bash:bashes:NO_SUB:1250] Bash
Advanced Civilizations (0.40.X+)

Former creator of Metallurgy, Atum, Aquaculture, and Agriculture for Minecraft and Toxic Worlds for Starbound.

Lucelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
Re: Weapon Balance Check (Need feedback)
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 06:14:38 pm »

The numbers look a bit off, actually.
In terms of 'balance', I find copying the stats from a weapon that functions similarly (like greatsword>zweihander for example) and then making adjustments from there to work best.

[ATTACK:EDGE:5:1250:jab:jabs:NO_SUB:1250] Jabbing
Here, the first value (5) is the contact area of the blade, and the second is the penetration. A contact area so tiny would be more reminiscent of the tip of an arrow or dart, and not a blade like that of a katar. A size of perhaps 20-30 would be more in line.

[ATTACK:EDGE:1000:600:slash:slashes:NO_SUB:1000] Slashing
This seems mostly fine except the penetration value is usually larger than the contact area for smaller edged weapons. I'd test out swapping the two values and seeing how that works for you.

[ATTACK:BLUNT:20000:600:slap:slaps:flat:1000] Flat Slapping

The contact area is far too large. That's the sort of contact area you see on polearms. Generally the slapping attack has the same contact area size as the slashing attack. And the penetration value is a bit too high. I'd try out 750:100 .

On the stone dwarven pickhammer,

That penetration value is way too high. A value of 2000-4000 would be more in line.

The quarterstaff suffers from a similiar problem: the values are just too high.  Blunt trauma inducing weapons have small contact areas and small penetration, because the intent is to transfer force through protection and deliver it to the flesh underneath; rather than force themselves past the armour. Values of like 40-60:500-700 or so.

The flayer's contact area:penetration values suggest its just used to keep slaves in line by leaving vicious lashes and welts, which I like the idea of.

Also love what you are doing with your advanced civilizations mod :3.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 06:38:13 pm by Lucelle »
Lucelle Weapons and Armour adds in tons of historical weapons and armour from a variety of different cultures

Shadowclaimer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 07:06:43 pm »

Thank you!

Actually the values were copied, the Katar was mostly taken from the Shortsword/Dagger, the Pickhammer was taken from the Pick with the blunt attack of a Hammer with some slight shifts.

The Quarterstaff is pretty far off, I need to heavily tweak it regardless.

I'll probably follow most of your advice on shifts, honestly I have the tables of the base weapons and was comparing stuff, its just hard to keep track of it all and how things should be balanced without making them identical.

Former creator of Metallurgy, Atum, Aquaculture, and Agriculture for Minecraft and Toxic Worlds for Starbound.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 07:19:21 pm »

The wiki says penetration values on blunt weapons are ignored, and I don't know if that's true, but if so then a lot of what was mentioned doesn't need to be changed.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Shadowclaimer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 07:35:55 pm »

The wiki says penetration values on blunt weapons are ignored, and I don't know if that's true, but if so then a lot of what was mentioned doesn't need to be changed.

That's weird then because a lot of values on spreadsheets and such show negative values. Do they mean positive values are ignored?

Hammers/Maces in the files have positive values.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 08:21:50 pm »

That's weird then because a lot of values on spreadsheets and such show negative values. Do they mean positive values are ignored?

Hammers/Maces in the files have positive values.
That's just what the wiki said, I haven't done any tests myself.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 09:55:19 am »

The katar should definitely have a stab contact area similiar to a dagger since it was primarily a piercing weapon by design so that looks good. They were designed to punch through armor. You've made it bit heavier and longer than a dagger which also fits it well. The blunt attack seems a bit out of place on a weapon like this. This is one weapon where I think it could really do without a blunt attack.

The rock hammer/pick looks good except for the extremely deep penetration. It's penetration should be more like 3,000 or 4,000.

The ice axe also looks good except for the crazy high penetration. It should also be lowered down to maybe 3,000 or 4000. 10,000 is the sort of penetration you see on a piercing pole arm.

You will find that the quarter staff does not perform well at all with those stats. It also doesn't need those super high penetration values nor do they make much sense on a staff.

To make the staff a viable weapon I would increase it's size to 600. Decrease its contact area considerably and give it a high velocity multiplier since you get a good bit of leverage and speed with such a long swing. I think a contact area of around 200 and a velocity multiplier of 3000 would make for a good bash attack for the staff. A blunt jab with a contact area of like 20 and a lower velocity multiplier of like 1000 would make a reasonable second attack type. Penetration of like a 1000 sounds fine for both attacks.

The way staffs are generally used, its pretty much a two handed only weapon. If you go so far as to simulate that by giving it an impossibly high one handed wielding value then you will probably want to buff it further by giving it a fast recovery speed to make up for the massive penalty of having no shield with it. It also fits well with how the weapon is wielded in real life as staffs can strike alternately with each end without having to wait for the back swing.

The flayer looks just like a scourge to me minus maybe the slower attack speed? I can't remember if scourges got the same treatment as the whip in the new version or not. Either way it looks fine. Not a super powerful weapon by any means but it fits well with its design.

As for the bow I'm not familiar with them in this version. I know Toady MASSIVELY nerfed them so arrows impact with a tiny fraction of the energy they used to. If your short bow is based off of how bows used to be then it will be many times more powerful than its counterparts in DF2014. If you want to make it kind of different give it a 2:2 recover time and make it weaker than a standard bow.

Were you aiming more for realism or balance with these weapons?

« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 03:11:59 am by Melting Sky »

Shadowclaimer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2014, 02:32:28 pm »

The katar should definitely have a stab contact area similiar to a dagger since it was primarily a piercing weapon by design so that looks good. They were designed to punch through armor. You've made it bit heavier and longer than a dagger which also fits it well. The blunt attack seems a bit out of place on a weapon like this. This is one weapon where I think it could really do without a blunt attack.

The rock hammer/pick looks good except for the extremely deep penetration. It's penetration should be more like 3,000 or 4,000.

The ice axe also looks good except for the crazy high penetration. It should also be lowered down to maybe 3,000 or 4000. 10,000 is the sort of penetration you see on a piercing pole arm.

You will find that the quarter staff does not perform well at all with those stats. It also doesn't need those super high penetration values nor do they make much sense on a staff.

To make the staff a viable weapon I would increase it's size to 600. Decrease its contact area considerably and give it a high velocity multiplier since you get a good bit of leverage and speed with such a long swing. I think a contact area of around 200 and a velocity multiplier of 3000 would make for a good bash attack for the staff. A blunt jab with a contact area of like 20 and a lower velocity multiplier of like 1000 would make a reasonable second attack type. Penetration of like a 1000 sounds fine for both attacks.

The way staffs are generally used, its pretty much a two handed only weapon. If you go so far as to simulate that by giving it an impossibly high one handed wielding value then you will probably want to buff it further by giving it a fast recovery speed to make up for the massive penalty of having no shield with it. It also fits well with how the weapon is wielded in real life as staffs can strike alternately with each end without having to wait for the back swing.

The flayer looks just like a scourge to me minus maybe the slower attack speed? I can't remember if scourges got the same treatment as the whip in the new version or not. Either way it looks fine. Not a super powerful weapon by any means but it fits well with its design.

As for the bow I'm not familiar with them in this version. I know Toady MASSIVELY nerfed them so arrows impact with a tiny fraction of the energy they used to. If your short bow is based off of how bows used to be then it will be many times more powerful than its counterparts in DF2014. If you want to make it kind of different give it a 2:2 recover time and make it weaker than a standard bow.

Were you aiming more for realism or balance with these weapons?

Balance, 100%

Katar has a backhand attack because all of the blades have "flat slaps", with a large knuckle blade I imagine just the person backhanding someone to do a blunt attack.

Pickhammer nerf I can agree with.

Ice Axe nerf I can agree with.

Quarter Staff penetration is weird, it shouldn't actually have any (the wiki shows negatives on maces and such, but the files don't have negative values, I was really confused on if it automatically assumed Blunt was negative) I would like to force two-hand, and would like a lot of just straight bashing with a lot of attacks without making it a knockout instantly kinda thing. Faster swing speed definitely sounds like what I'm wanting to do (as well as value shifts.)

Flayer is just a Scourge by a different name, I wanted to implement custom weapons without having to worry about editing vanilla stuff later for balance or changes.

Shortbow I /might/ have used the old bow values, I probably need to shift them. I think I'm going to nerf its force a lot compared to a normal bow but make it fire faster, then the Long Bow would be the opposite.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 08:15:24 pm »

If you are aiming to make all these weapons roughly as capable as each other they are somewhat wide apart but if you simply want them to be inline with already existing weapons then I think they'll be fine. Standard DF melee weapons are not all made equal.

The ice axe and rock hammer pick will both be very powerful and versatile melee weapons, particularly the rock hammer pick. It will be up there with the best melee weapons made by vanilla dwarves.

The Katar will be like a cross between a slightly upgraded short sword and dagger which is to say a middle of the pack weapon in the grand scheme of things. It will be versatile. The Flayer will be a below average weapon given that the scourge it is modeled after is also lack luster.

The staff will be very interesting and unique. It's best trait will be its decreased recovery time allowing it to get in hits faster. Each blow won't be as devastating as the maul's but they will come faster. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. I think it will be a pretty solid blunt weapon, particularly compared to other native ones.

I have no clue how to compare the bow to the melee weapons as far as power goes. How much is the advantage of being a ranged attack worth? It's hard to quantify. In the past ranged weapons were top tier but they have been massively nerfed in this version. A weaker but faster firing version of a standard bow is bound to be a nasty little weapon against poorly armored, small to medium sized, flesh and blood creatures.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 10:01:28 pm by Melting Sky »

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2014, 08:43:16 pm »

Blunt weapon penetration values are used. The penetration value transfers to the bone shard when jamming parts through other parts.

Shadowclaimer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2014, 10:03:27 pm »

Blunt weapon penetration values are used. The penetration value transfers to the bone shard when jamming parts through other parts.

Does it accept negative values? The charts on the wiki have those but I don't see any in the raws.

If you are aiming to make all these weapons roughly as capable as each other they are somewhat wide apart but if you simply want them to be inline with already existing weapons then I think they'll be fine. Standard DF melee weapons are not all made equal.

The ice axe and rock hammer pick will both be very powerful and versatile melee weapons, particularly the rock hammer pick. It will be up there with the best melee weapons made by vanilla dwarves.

The Katar will be like a cross between a slightly upgraded short sword and dagger which is to say a middle of the pack weapon in the grand scheme of things. It will be versatile. The Flayer will be a below average weapon given that the scourge it is modeled after is also lack luster.

The staff will be very interesting and unique. It's best trait will be its decreased recovery time allowing it to get in hits faster. Each blow won't be as devastating as the maul's but they will come faster. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. I think it will be a pretty solid blunt weapon, particularly compared to other native ones.

I have no clue how to compare the bow to the melee weapons as far as power goes. How much is the advantage of being a ranged attack worth? It's hard to quantify. In the past ranged weapons were top tier but they have been massively nerfed in this version. A weaker but faster firing version of a standard bow is bound to be a nasty little weapon against poorly armored, small to medium sized, flesh and blood creatures.

They don't have to be balanced within each other's scope, but within the scope of all the DF weapons basically. The bows mostly compared to other bows. I think a faster fire rate bow with less stopping power is a fair creation.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 10:06:22 pm by Shadowclaimer »

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2014, 01:27:42 am »

They don't have to be balanced within each other's scope, but within the scope of all the DF weapons basically. The bows mostly compared to other bows. I think a faster fire rate bow with less stopping power is a fair creation.

All of these weapons should fall within ranges of power you find in vanilla DF once you adjust them the ways you have said you will.  :)

I think the numbers listed for penetration are listed normally for blunt weapons. In other words the bigger the number, the deeper the bone splinters are driven.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 01:39:41 am by Melting Sky »