Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves won't clean!  (Read 599 times)

Ladygolem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves won't clean!
« on: July 25, 2014, 03:51:05 pm »

Recently, dude to a mishap involving a well and floodgates and a underestimation of water pressure, I have ended up with a meeting hall covered in mud! However, even assigning a dwarf with no other labors but cleaning to a burrow that is solely composed of dirtied tiles will not convince any of them to actually wash anything up!

How do I bully, cajole, or otherwise force these buggers to actually clean this mess up? I didn't just spend months engraving that floor to have it covered in gunk!

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves won't clean!
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 03:58:37 pm »

Mud won't be cleaned, just like loose boulders aren't moved by the "clean" labour.

Of course, the answer is as always MAGMA. Magma dries out mud.

Alternatively, you can order floor tiles built over your muddy floor.

Ladygolem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 04:02:46 pm »

Ah, balls. I had just had those floors put in. Ah, well, if that what it takes... Lesson learned: once the reservoir is reasonably full, never ever release that floodgate, even if it's just for a second!

Shazbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 04:22:16 pm »

I could have sworn the game -used- to have dwarves mop up the blood. In time a program called DFHack will catch up with the current release and you'll be able to clean up your floors with a simple command line.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 07:28:34 pm »

I could have sworn the game -used- to have dwarves mop up the blood.

Blood, sure.  Mud, no.  Mud is useful!
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 07:52:26 pm »

I could have sworn the game -used- to have dwarves mop up the blood.

Blood, sure.  Mud, no.  Mud is useful!

Technically in the current release mud is bad once you hit the caverns due to the way trees grow now.

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 09:04:31 pm »

You can eliminate mud by smoothing tiles, you can smooth already smoothed tiles by engraving minecart tracks over them, re-smoothing, and re-engraving. I haven't tried this specifically for removing mud from engraved tiles, but I think it should work.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2014, 02:58:45 am »

Mud is useful!

Technically in the current release mud is bad once you hit the caverns due to the way trees grow now.

The point remains that muddying floor for farming would be an incredible chore if dwarfs randomly destroyed the farmable floor they create by deciding to "clean" it.