Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: climbing walls  (Read 5180 times)

sirdave79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: climbing walls
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2014, 06:13:36 am »

The lip (fortification) overhanging the side facing attackers was my default wall pattern in 34.11. Makes sense. I was hoping this would defeat casual climbing raiders.

Nasty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2014, 09:03:13 am »

I had a wall 1 z level high, fortifications on top and a roof overhead. Enemies got within 4-5 tiles of the wall, where they couldn't be shot at. Six crossbowdwarves VAULTED the fortification, into the moat where they became stuck, spamming climbing checks against the wall. I had to order my speardwarves out to clean up, then deconstruct the wall to free them. Three had been slaughtered by that time.

Also inconvenient that bridges no longer seem to create a wall when raised. A number of my crossbowmen didn't bother to pick up a bow before heading to the ramparts, took the kill order as a sign to jump half naked into the moat, charge humans in iron armor and try wrestle them. Probably time to put a door over my entrance passage and lock it when under siege.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2014, 10:03:08 am »

I had a wall 1 z level high, fortifications on top and a roof overhead. Enemies got within 4-5 tiles of the wall, where they couldn't be shot at. Six crossbowdwarves VAULTED the fortification, into the moat where they became stuck, spamming climbing checks against the wall. I had to order my speardwarves out to clean up, then deconstruct the wall to free them. Three had been slaughtered by that time.

Also inconvenient that bridges no longer seem to create a wall when raised. A number of my crossbowmen didn't bother to pick up a bow before heading to the ramparts, took the kill order as a sign to jump half naked into the moat, charge humans in iron armor and try wrestle them. Probably time to put a door over my entrance passage and lock it when under siege.

I've never seen dwarves jump fortifications but are you positive you didn't set your drawbridge to "retract" rather than raise?

Nasty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2014, 12:01:01 pm »

Oh woopse, I certainly was careless placing them. Cheers! Much better!

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2014, 07:25:59 pm »

Climbing trap ideas.

Build a typical dodge me trap but build it high up over the surface, with a climbable wall supporting the bridge of the dodge me trap and acting as the climbable path. When a siege comes, seal all the fort off and make the entrance connecting the fort and the trap the only accessible entrance. Watch goblins climb up the wall only to get impaled by repeating spikes or dodging and falling to their deaths.

Another idea was to build a "pyramid" type structure with the peak of the pyramid being a hatch to a staircase to the fortress. Every lower level of the pyramid has repeating spikes on top of the walls. Goblins must climb the first level, avoid getting skewered, climb the second level, avoid getting skewered, etc etc. Could even make the inside of the pyramid a barracks for keeping military in case goblins make it in. I'm patenting this idea as "spike mountain".
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2014, 10:27:25 am »

Alright, in response to this, I'm just going to build a roof over my crossbowdwarves so that they're in little boxes on the allure and fire through fortifications. They won't vault over that!
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Nasty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2014, 12:22:27 pm »

There is a roof haha. Fully roofed in area and they still go through and land in the water and grab onto the wall the Z level above and become stuck. Its peculiar, they seem to jump out at the same section of wall, over the marksdwarves barracks. Last attack was on the opposite side of the fort and he lept AWAY from the fighting into the moat.

Still, I'm learning to quickly deconstruct the wall to free them, its not so much of an issue except last time my entire dump pile teleported onto the stones when they were deconstructed/reconstructed. Weird.

Next step in the testing is to put a floor over the moat below the wall. It wont be accessible when the bridge is up, but maybe the dwarves wont get stuck and will still be able to fire/run around/whatever and I wont have to deconstruct anything. They might still get stuck hanging from the fortifications I dont know.

Maybe they aren't actually jumping through but teleporting there by some bug!

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2014, 01:56:20 pm »

At the OP:
Needs to be ended...
what a pain in my ass.

I have a 2 z level high defensive wall, made of wood. At the top of the wall I put 3 fortifications and a down stair in the middle of it.
(and then some stairs to get up there) with the idea that my marksdwarf could stand there and shoot out.

Instead he gets to the top, goes back down, climbs over the damn wall and tries to engage them in hand to hand..despite having a crossbow and having just been practising archery for a long time.
Might want to check that he had bolts in his quiver. They'll generally fight at range unless their quiver empties, and that hasn't changed.

I'm a bit late, but, y'know... future reference and all that.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 01:58:00 pm by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2014, 10:08:09 am »

At the OP:
Needs to be ended...
what a pain in my ass.

I have a 2 z level high defensive wall, made of wood. At the top of the wall I put 3 fortifications and a down stair in the middle of it.
(and then some stairs to get up there) with the idea that my marksdwarf could stand there and shoot out.

Instead he gets to the top, goes back down, climbs over the damn wall and tries to engage them in hand to hand..despite having a crossbow and having just been practising archery for a long time.
Might want to check that he had bolts in his quiver. They'll generally fight at range unless their quiver empties, and that hasn't changed.

I'm a bit late, but, y'know... future reference and all that.

it has changed.
He did have them. Toady messed it up and made them want to wrestle regardless of the weapons in their quiver. So I've got to make sure they're locked in or they'll want to wrestle.
Pages: 1 [2]