Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress to Dwarf Kingdom?  (Read 1296 times)

silentveteren

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress to Dwarf Kingdom?
« on: July 19, 2014, 04:55:55 pm »

Now that armies are actual entities in DF, representing actual populations and civilizations, it would seem that the road is being paved for our small fortresses to turn into burgeoning kingdoms! Very interested in the possibilities this might entail, I scanned the dev page, looking for more information. Near the bottom, it mentioned the following

Military

Dwarven armies
      Ability to send out fortress dwarves to lead larger groups of surrounding dwarves out around mid-level maps (or just go alone)
      Ability to send equipment and fortress dwarves out to train surrounding dwarves
      Ability to attack sites and entity populations with your dwarven armies
      Ability to set fires and select supplies to haul back when sacking a site

After reading this, I spent a few minutes cackling maniacally, causing many of my college mates to stare at me in fear and awe. It would appear that we can do the following

Send dwarves out to make little villages outside our normal embark zone
Send armies to protect our villages or nearby allies
Invade elven cities and burn their forests down! ( Another few minutes of cackling )

The question I pose is this. Will we have direct control of other sites, much like our original embark? Or will it function as more of a * Send a noble ( They may have use! o.O ) to rule in our stead *

If we don't have direct control, we would probably need quite a few new menus in order to give general requests to our allies *cough* elven woodcutter slaves *cough* 
I am now curious as to what these menus would look like, and what level of control we would have over our outer villages.

What are your thoughts?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 05:02:19 pm by silentveteren »

MrCompassionate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress to Dwarf Kingdom?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 05:28:07 pm »

I hope you can at least watch the attack play out because watching your greatest warrior single handedly wipe out an elven settlement for the glory of his home fort and rip their leader's head clean off with her or his bare teeth would be much better than just hearing that it happened, it would also prevent automated shenanigans like the game just crunching the numbers and deciding all of your steel clad Uberwarriors died because there were less of them. Like how you press autoresolve for an easy battle in Total War and it's like
'Sure you won but all your archers died, and your artillery'
'B-But I always put them behind my melle guys! How the blazes did they die?'
'Tough luck, pure numbers don't lie'
NOW THE DEMONS OF THE UNDERWORLD SHALL SHARE IN MY HELL! NOTHING IS WORSE THAN A RAVEN CORPSE! NOTHING!