Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Great Loyalty Cascade of 176  (Read 1459 times)

JAK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Great Loyalty Cascade of 176
« on: July 23, 2014, 02:34:13 am »

Succubus invasions happens.

Gets repelled with 3 deaths on Dwarf side.

Cleanup begins when I see "Farmer cancels dump mutilated corpse; interrupted by swordsdwarf."

Next thing I know animals and dwarves are murdering each other in a massive brawl, no tantrums at all, just killing each other.

It's not any of the possibilities listed in the vanilla wiki; the conditions aren't met. The only thing I can think of is some cheesy faction swap ability the succubus invaders had (Which, if true, is confusing because I still have control over all the dwarves involved). I have absolutely no idea why my fortress is destroying itself. Even the darn stray livestock are rioting among themselves in the pasture.

One dude died in our weapon trap when he was knocked unconscious by the way, if that's relevant.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 02:36:08 am by JAK »

Guthbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Great Loyalty Cascade of 176
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 10:13:43 am »

Heh. Sounds awesome. :)

The succubi have a bunch of mayhem-causing abilities that can be granted to individuals based on their manual, so I'm guessing those would be possible in a succubi civ individual.

It's scary, because I don't know if there's any real defense against mind-control attacks available to the other races. It's like those sneaky warlock invaders who your first sign that they were there in an ambush was when your butcher shop exploded with animated bone pieces trying to kill your brewer dwarves.

May be ordering a lot of tinfoil hats from the gnome caravans might help. :)

JAK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 11:19:08 am »

I still had control over everyone though. They just attacked each other on sight.

Guthbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 11:20:59 am »

Is there any way to check the syndromes applied from within DFHACK? That might give a clue.

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 01:05:17 pm »

showunitsyndromes
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

JAK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 09:42:54 pm »

showunitsyndromes

Thanks.

If it is a syndrome it must be chronic (permanent) because this shit went for about 6 six months before I waved the white flag.

cerevox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 11:00:21 pm »

For a loyalty cascade they only had to flip one unit. After that, it would of just cascaded without a need for more casting.

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 02:16:37 am »

Heh. Sounds awesome. :)

The succubi have a bunch of mayhem-causing abilities that can be granted to individuals based on their manual, so I'm guessing those would be possible in a succubi civ individual.

It's scary, because I don't know if there's any real defense against mind-control attacks available to the other races. It's like those sneaky warlock invaders who your first sign that they were there in an ambush was when your butcher shop exploded with animated bone pieces trying to kill your brewer dwarves.

May be ordering a lot of tinfoil hats from the gnome caravans might help. :)

Succubi as invaders have been neglected and come without powers for now. If anything causes a loyalty cascade, it must be fixed anyway. I already replaced any syndromes that causes CRAZED with OPPOSED_TO_LIFE to prevent that.

But even then no your citizens must be opposed to life, because the game will consider it lost forever and will not let it back in the military or noble positions.

Guthbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 12:44:47 pm »

Do you have, um, plans to make succubi have those powers as invaders? :)

Because that will just be scary as all get out.

The forces of good have no matching power. Elves don't have magic yet. All the magic centered races seem to be on the dark side so far.

Dwarves have some magic, sure, but I've never seen one as an invader and it doesn't seem to be a big part of their race. I've never even built the school of wizardry when I play dwarves. What's a mage able to do that a masterwork steel axe can't? :)

I toyed around with the succubi a little so far, and their temples are insanely powerful. Insanely so. They're missing a lot of stuff still, it seems, but what they've got is so very powerful.

I don't know how they actually play yet though in terms of balance. The reagents for their temples and such I spawned with dfhack so it might be much more difficult to get them in real game play.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2014, 12:58:24 pm »

Dwarves have some magic, sure, but I've never seen one as an invader and it doesn't seem to be a big part of their race. I've never even built the school of wizardry when I play dwarves. What's a mage able to do that a masterwork steel axe can't? :)

Set the whole world on fire, for example.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Guthbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2014, 01:02:18 pm »

Well, ok. You've got me there. :)

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2014, 01:22:31 pm »

Do you have, um, plans to make succubi have those powers as invaders? :)

Because that will just be scary as all get out.

The forces of good have no matching power. Elves don't have magic yet. All the magic centered races seem to be on the dark side so far.

I toyed around with the succubi a little so far, and their temples are insanely powerful. Insanely so. They're missing a lot of stuff still, it seems, but what they've got is so very powerful.

I don't know how they actually play yet though in terms of balance. The reagents for their temples and such I spawned with dfhack so it might be much more difficult to get them in real game play.

Yes, at some point they will check upon arriving what powers they'll get, based on their position and skills, or get the ability to spawn a couple of pets. The fire ones will go to leaders only.

Guthbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2014, 01:32:20 pm »

Way off topic, but I'm curious as to your thoughts on this ...

With the 40.x living world concept, do you see a point at which succubi (or any other race) ever become such a serious threat as to warrant building "punitive" fortresses next to theirs in order to curb their populations?

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2014, 02:12:54 am »

Way off topic, but I'm curious as to your thoughts on this ...

With the 40.x living world concept, do you see a point at which succubi (or any other race) ever become such a serious threat as to warrant building "punitive" fortresses next to theirs in order to curb their populations?

The race will be harder to handle in the future but it must stay balanced. Losing legendary warriors randomly is nowhere enjoyable. In example, necrosis chant will not be used as it is fatal. Future versions of dfhack will make it easy to warn you if an invader is going to pull a nasty trick.

The same applies to gnomes. It would be a good idea to spawn a gadget or two in their hand.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 04:32:39 am by Boltgun »