Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The name generator  (Read 1003 times)

Eisensturm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The name generator
« on: July 14, 2014, 02:14:20 pm »

I'm sure this question has been asked before, but here I am:

Can the name generator be modded(adding/removing possible name choices generated)?

Not that I complain about it in it's current state, but you know(Yarnblushed the Long Trenches of Boats)

Thanks for any replies

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
Re: The name generator
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 02:19:11 pm »

Well, you can remove words from in-game languages, but I don't think that's exactly what you're looking for.

Eisensturm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 02:22:16 pm »

That would be a good work-around, but I'd prefer something more specific, yeah.

Wannabehero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 02:36:09 pm »

Aside from hard removing/adding words from the language files, you can also change the words in symbol groups, I believe you can also add your own new symbol groups.  Then in the entity file you can designate which symbol sets your civ will use for naming different things.

This should give you a greater degree of control in filtering out words you don't want, and improving the use of words you want the civ to use for different things.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 02:37:52 pm by Wannabehero »

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 02:58:03 pm »

The LOLmod plays with language files quite a bit, so you can find some nice examples there.  Of course, the words they're adding to the language are ridiculous, so they shouldn't unduly influence what actual words your want to include/exclude/favor/cull.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Eisensturm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 04:47:23 pm »

Ok! Thanks for the great suggestions guys!

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
  • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 07:34:05 pm »

I'm pretty sure that names are the *only* thing the "languages" are used for at this point, in fact.
Quote from: Mr S
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Quote from: Strong Bad
The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
Quote from: Cobbler89
I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.

samanato

• Bay Watcher
  • @ Gardevoirite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 07:52:28 pm »

Pretty much atm.  Vanilla language files don't even have anything close to a clear derivational morphology, let alone any detectable etymology.  All of the words seem to be randomly generated by phonological rules alone. That's not even getting into the non-existent grammar, even for the purpose of the names (verbs are all inconjugable, even the participles and gerunds, and nouns have no separate plural or genitive forms)

I am working on an actual dwarven lang that makes sense while still keeping familiar words like Urist (something like Khuzdul, with the Arabic-style plurals), but it requires a lot of improvisation and doing things from scratch. Even then it's an experiment, since I'm not sure, if having separate word-entries for plurals will do funny things with the names.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 07:54:40 pm by samanato »

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
  • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2014, 08:24:34 pm »

It only just occured to me that they might also provide fodder for randomly generated priest titles (you know, "Sacred Rabbit", "High Puke", and other absurdities). Or maybe those are based on the raws. Or hardcoded.

There could also be a similar system for the new spoilery creatures and materials -- or, again, it might be hardcoded.

I guess one of us will have to replace all the languages with a single language with only the word "grunt" (or variations on "grunt" for noun, adjective and verb if necessary -- "grunt", "grunty" and "grunting"?), gen a world and see what all in the game turns into just "grunt" (or "grunt-grunt the grunt grunt gruntgrunt of grunt" and such). Browsing legends might be a pretty quick way to find out if there is any name or title in the game that doesn't draw from the language files, similar to the handful of Forgotten Beast components that aren't in the raws.
Quote from: Mr S
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Quote from: Strong Bad
The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
Quote from: Cobbler89
I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2014, 12:11:31 am »

You can add or remove use-cases from the existing language_words.txt, the tags change where particular words are allowed to appear in those full-length titles.

This works very well for controlling where nouns can appear, as there are a complete set of noun-placement tokens, which I can explain in more detail if anyone is interested.

But it almost seems like Toady said"fukkit" once he got to verbs, and verb placement is an "all or nothing" approach with only one token you can set, STANDARD_VERB, which makes the verb eligible appear at all points in the "name", or not having STANDARD_VERB, which means they only appear in present-tense after the "of" part.

so, if "blush" is a "standard verb" you can have things like "BlushX the X of blushing" or "Xblushed the X of Y". The only way to fine-tune where a verb appears is to remove the STANDARD_VERB tag, and add in adjective tags, prefix tags etc for the same word, wherever you think it's ok to appear.

Eisensturm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2014, 08:20:46 am »

You can add or remove use-cases from the existing language_words.txt, the tags change where particular words are allowed to appear in those full-length titles.

This works very well for controlling where nouns can appear, as there are a complete set of noun-placement tokens, which I can explain in more detail if anyone is interested.

But it almost seems like Toady said"fukkit" once he got to verbs, and verb placement is an "all or nothing" approach with only one token you can set, STANDARD_VERB, which makes the verb eligible appear at all points in the "name", or not having STANDARD_VERB, which means they only appear in present-tense after the "of" part.

so, if "blush" is a "standard verb" you can have things like "BlushX the X of blushing" or "Xblushed the X of Y". The only way to fine-tune where a verb appears is to remove the STANDARD_VERB tag, and add in adjective tags, prefix tags etc for the same word, wherever you think it's ok to appear.

Grand! This seems to be working great.

Thanks