Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Realistic Crop seasons/GROWDUR?  (Read 472 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Realistic Crop seasons/GROWDUR?
« on: July 14, 2014, 01:30:45 pm »

Has anyone tackled the new plant files to make all of the new aboveground crops actually have reasonable values for growth Seasons and duration? Right now they're pretty much all set to super-growth ability in all seasons, which is silly.

Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Realistic Crop seasons/GROWDUR?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 01:32:39 pm »

Masterwork has had that for a while, I believe. It's not a very popular module.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 01:37:39 pm »

I had that for the previous version of DF as well. I'm wondering if anyone has tackled the new plant files for DF 40.0x. (plat_standard, plant_crops, plant_garden).
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

samanato

• Bay Watcher
  • @ Gardevoirite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 05:52:29 pm »

This is something I'm working on at the moment. The fruit-bearing plants are the most challenging of the lot, since the growing times from the beginning of each planting season (usually autumn or winter) to the end needed to be synchronised with the end of flowering and suchlike, which is usually in the summer. This probably might lead to too long growth times in gameplay terms, especially for things like cloudberries, and it did need quite a bit of compromise.  In the end, I just decided to just make the fruit-growths invisible and make a reaction for collecting fruit, which doubles as a workaround to gathered shrubs being useless most of the time. 

Long growing times do make the game a lot harder, and while it does go a long way to simulating real-life scarcity, I understand that it's too daunting for some players.  A way to balance this would be to generate multiple units of grain/fruit in threshing/collecting reactions (I do this by way of additional random drops).

Another idea I'm working on is a farming tech-tree involving cultivating wild plants. Things like especially grain plants in the current DF should only exist in cultivated form, as should things like tomato (this is easy enough to do: just set [FREQUENCY:0] and it won't appear in the wild, but caravans will bring it). Obviously this would require some handwaving for the ultra-fast plant domestication (which took generations upon generations in real life, but animal training is a little fast too, so) - possibly trade-mats from elves. 

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 08:41:51 pm »

Creator of the Seasonal Crops mod here. I'm currently testing a partially updated version of the mod, and it seems to work as well as it did in 0.34. Might be able release the updated mod in a few days.
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.