Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is there a fix for no wind?  (Read 903 times)

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
Is there a fix for no wind?
« on: July 31, 2014, 02:23:23 pm »

Hiya,

I just built a windmill on the z+1 level (one level above the surface), and realized that for the first time ever, I have embarked on a windless map.  Is there a fix to get wind, or do I have to abandon my windmill-powered project?

-Dame de la Licorne
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
Re: Is there a fix for no wind?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 02:50:23 pm »

Abandon :(

As far as I recall, you either have wind or you don't on a map. Pity it's so difficult to tell as well...
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

YAHG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 02:50:37 pm »

Hiya,

I just built a windmill on the z+1 level (one level above the surface), and realized that for the first time ever, I have embarked on a windless map.  Is there a fix to get wind, or do I have to abandon my windmill-powered project?

-Dame de la Licorne

From what I understand you either have wind or you don't. I have also heard it has something to do with latitude.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 03:05:54 pm »

Hiya,

Thanks for the quick response, guess I'll have to go elsewhere and try again.  *sigh*  And I was almost done, too.  :'(

-Dame de la Licorne
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 03:12:56 pm by Dame de la Licorne »
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 03:32:57 pm »

From what I understand you either have wind or you don't. I have also heard it has something to do with latitude.
It is indeed based on latitude, but it also depends on world size - notably, only MEDIUM and LARGE worlds actually have any measureable amount of wind in them (as of 0.34.11, anyways; haven't checked if 0.40.05 is still affected by this).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 05:44:47 pm »

I might be misunderstanding it, but i got 20 power in a POCKET world, both in .40.03 and .34.11; both in a cold-temperate biome. That may be inconveniently low for larger installations, but it's quite enough for irrigation or a small minecart route. In my experience, zero-power biomes are fairly rare - i usually see them in "hot" regions, i.e. in the equivalent of the horse latitudes.

quarague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 06:23:37 am »

never experimented with windmills, I always used dwarven water reactors for all my power needs,
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/40d:Water_wheel
I don't think anything changed here in 0.40 versions.
More importantly, ... , making the project pointlessly difficult and requiring greatly overcomplicated means to set up  ...
from Sphalerite

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 06:31:07 am »

If you consider this cheating just build the windmills for asthetic purposes and put the water reactor somewhere near the powerchain..
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2014, 07:06:35 am »

If you don't need much power, windmills can be quite convenient - if you only want to run a single millstone or pump, e.g.
Saves you the fiddling with the waterwheel and is quite easy to switch on and off (via load). Of course, they're also naturally susceptible to flying building destroyers, which are extremely rare but also extremely fun (_if_ they show up and manage to path to the mill, the latter of which is pretty unlikely but not entirely impossible).

But if you have no wind, just try to get some water power working; there's almost always a way and you don't necessarily need water reactors - different-height aquifers and drainage off the map often suffice.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 07:09:14 am by Larix »

I am Leo

• Bay Watcher
  • Ia ia Oggez Rashaz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2014, 07:58:17 am »

Failing that, vampire power. Wall one off with a pump, tell him to crank the handle.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2014, 08:01:12 am »

I might be misunderstanding it, but i got 20 power in a POCKET world, both in .40.03 and .34.11; both in a cold-temperate biome.
I've just investigated the relevant code in 0.40.05, and it appears that the bug with sub-MEDIUM world wind strength has been fixed, so all worlds should have proper wind now.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.