Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Intercepting marching armies in fort mode?  (Read 1594 times)

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Intercepting marching armies in fort mode?
« on: July 11, 2014, 10:53:08 am »

Now that armies march when invading, is it possible to set up a fort in a choke-point and intercept any armies heading towards your nations cities?  Will the game respect that?  It would be cool to set up two giant islands, one with dwarves, the other with goblins, and have a small land bridge connecting them like north and south america.  Then pop down a fort and be the defenders of your nation, or something like that.

I was wondering if it was possible.  If no one knows I may try when I get home tonight.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Intercepting marching armies in fort mode?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 11:01:33 am »

I thought marching armies actively avoided player forts due to the time bubble.
But if they're forced via the geography, I'd suppose it's possible. I'd assume they would just bug out though.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 11:03:22 am by Witty »
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 01:01:30 pm »

You can probably make your fort more likely to be attacked if you place it nearest to goblin territory.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 11:01:16 am »

I believe i've seen a few posts around since DF2014 here armies have moved through forts. If that's the case, then yes it should theoretically be possible.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 05:22:47 pm »

I believe i've seen a few posts around since DF2014 here armies have moved through forts. If that's the case, then yes it should theoretically be possible.

That is awesome.  I haven't gotten around to trying it, but it would be really cool to set up a gigantic goblin civilization and you being the only defense.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2014, 05:28:08 pm »

That is awesome.  I haven't gotten around to trying it, but it would be really cool to set up a gigantic goblin civilization and you being the only defense.
cue 700 goblins in a siege
._.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2014, 05:47:03 pm »

cue 700 goblins in a siege

Gen a world with only 2 civs. That should test the theory nicely.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2014, 09:48:39 am »

So I got around to making a world with a chokepoint!  It requires you to make your embark area a little wide but it should be alright.  I spent an hour or two working to get it to work (It required a lot of melarky) so I would appreciate it if someone else would try it out for me.  If nobody else does I suppose I could give it a go when I get back.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8934

Good luck!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 10:44:05 am by Puzzlemaker »

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Cat Cooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2014, 09:07:42 pm »

This is actually really cool. You can set up a kind of 'toll booth fortress' kind of thing and bar entry to those who would pass through your site.
Urist cancels rest injury: Too injured

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2014, 09:13:27 pm »

That should be a thing. Just set up an office with an attached barracks at a chokepoint, and have your broker sit there until someone arrives. Have broker meet the leader of the strangers, and negotiate a toll trade.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2014, 10:16:53 pm »

It if works, it would be awesome, yeah.  Thanks to the world cup plus some other stuff, I didn't get around to testing it today.  I would really like to know if it works!  I'll get around to it sometime.

Edit: Cancel that, Toady just confirmed they phase through forts right now, but that will change, probably in the army arc.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 07:11:58 am by Puzzlemaker »