Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chronic textile industry job cancellation spam (probably bug)  (Read 1654 times)

Pootis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't really have information specific enough to submit a general bug report, but I'm quite sure that this is unintended behavior.

I can't seem to make many cloth products without getting massive amounts of job cancellation spam with the reason along the lines of "Urist DaWeaver cancels job: needs 1 unused (thread/yarn/cloth)".

In all cases I've had the needed reagents in stockpiles right next to my workshops. I thought that my hospital zone might have something to do with it, but behavior is the same when I remove the hospital zone.

I've set workshop orders to use any thread/cloth, none of it is forbidden, and it's lying in a bin in a stockpile not 3 tiles from my loom, yet my weavers stoutly refuse to use any yarn. Ditto for dying any thread/cloth (and I have plenty of dye).

This is getting quite frustrating, especially when compounded with other job cancellation annoyances. Can anyone comment/speculate here?
Is this along the lines of an acknowledged bug? Can we expect any improvements to dwarf-mode workflow in this regard during this round of bugfixes?

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
Re: Chronic textile industry job cancellation spam (probably bug)
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 11:57:40 pm »

Try a thread stockpile that doesn't use bins.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 09:58:44 am »

I wonder if we could talk Toady into making stockpiles default to 0 bins.  Force people to ENABLE bins if they want them.  That might solve a lot of these "bugs" that keep getting reported, over and over.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Pootis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 10:40:08 am »

I wonder if we could talk Toady into making stockpiles default to 0 bins.  Force people to ENABLE bins if they want them.  That might solve a lot of these "bugs" that keep getting reported, over and over.

Does this have anything to do with dwarves taking the entire bin out of a stockpile when they need only a single item? If so it might make better sense to solve that little issue first.

Cozmopolit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 10:44:19 am »

Thread and Cloth are small.

I started to make sure that there are NO stockpiles available for thread and cloth, so that the finished goods just stay at wherever they were produced. Just put whatever wants to use it right next to it.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 10:54:33 am »

I started to make sure that there are NO stockpiles available for thread and cloth, so that the finished goods just stay at wherever they were produced. Just put whatever wants to use it right next to it.

That works fine if you never import any thread or cloth from merchants (or if you simply don't care that weavers/clothiers have to haul each individual thread/cloth from the depot to the workshop).

My current preferred setup is this:

Code: [Select]
  ############
  11122223333#  1 = plant stockpile, no barrels, pig tail/rope reed/etc.
  1WWWLLLCCC3#  2 = thread stockpile, no bins
  1WWWLLLCCC3#  3 = cloth stockpile, bins allowed
  1WWWLLLCCC3#  W = farmer's workshop
  11122223333#  L = loom, C = clothier's workshop
  ############

The thread-able-plant stockpile takes from links only, takes from the main plant stockpile.  The thread stockpile is tiny and is just there to get haulers to bring thread from the depot.  The cloth stockpile has bins, which means I'll occasionally get job cancellations while the weavers are active, but I can live with those.

On a separate note, holy mother of magma, bins hold a SHITLOAD of cloth.  You'd expect each bin to hold something like 20, so you'd get multiple bins after a short time, meaning no cancellations after you have 20+ cloth, but no....
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 11:13:07 am »

On a separate note, holy mother of magma, bins hold a SHITLOAD of cloth.  You'd expect each bin to hold something like 20, so you'd get multiple bins after a short time, meaning no cancellations after you have 20+ cloth, but no....

No kidding, I bought damn near an entire dwarven caravan on one bin of cloth, and it wasn't even full.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 11:36:08 am »

The thread-able-plant stockpile takes from links only, takes from the main plant stockpile.
This is the same workaround for the "gather plants" bug, right? Where you have to make 2 stockpiles,  one that takes from anywhere (bins forbidden) and one that takes from links only (bins allowed) ? I never tried it with cloth.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2014, 12:02:44 pm »

The thread-able-plant stockpile takes from links only, takes from the main plant stockpile.
This is the same workaround for the "gather plants" bug, right? Where you have to make 2 stockpiles,  one that takes from anywhere (bins forbidden) and one that takes from links only (bins allowed) ? I never tried it with cloth.

It's the same design, yes.  I don't consider there to be any "gather plants bug", though.

There is a general purpose "bins/barrels are used when not necessary" bug, but even then I consider it less of a bug, and more of an enhancement request.