Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No fruits on the trees?  (Read 1019 times)

Nagidal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My gaming channel
No fruits on the trees?
« on: July 13, 2014, 03:00:12 am »

Having played a bit of 40.02 adventure mode, I ate all my provisions and was desperately looking for food. I climbed some fruit trees (apricot, pear) but there were no fruits. Now when I'm writing this, it occurrs to me that it's Granite in my adventure and that's just not when pears or apricots are ripe. Anyway, when the right season comes, can I count on finding some edible fruits in the trees?
I stream most of my DF sessions: gaming.youtube/nagidal146, they are archived on my youtube channel. (Dwarf Fortress Tutorials)

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
Re: No fruits on the trees?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 03:57:33 am »

I have heard from Toady that fruits are not collectable yet, but going to in the next quick updates over the days.
Havent tested yet if thats only in Fort Mode the case or in adventure as well.

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 04:35:59 am »

In the arena, when spawning trees and the game is paused, the trees are in their spring colours. At that time, for example a lychee tree, will have in its top "lychee tree branches, lychee tree leaves, lychees". They reverted to base green colour instantly though, so I don't know if you can collect them.
If Toady said 'no', then he probably meant it for both modes anyway. Your best bet is finding something to kill and butchering it for food, for now. Or trading.
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

mauricio

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 06:06:19 am »

Comming summer, fruits become available in adventure mode, it's just in fort mode they can't be collected.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 03:02:05 pm »

Yeah, that's my suspicion as well. Try hanging out in fortmode for a season and then start adventuring in summer, you should be able to find more fruit.

Early spring is really boring in Dwarf Fortress, and actually makes Adventure mode kinda difficult if your starting hamlet happens to not have much in the way of animals or lettuce/red spinach/other leafy vegetable, epecially with winter making getting water more difficult.
It's one of the reasons I wouldn't mind running the calender for an hour if it puts me in a more interesting season.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Azrayel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 07:03:13 pm »

I can only get leaves not berries off of bushes, is that a related issue or are you not intended to be able to get strawberries from strawberry bushes etc?

PS:  Can you put a leaf of a tea-bearing plant into a waterskin with water, and heat it, to make tea??
I then asked a porcupine about its troubles and the game crashed.

Motherland Calling: Tsar Needs Block Breakers

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 05:17:36 am »

You can only get berries in late spring/early summer, or whenever they grow, not all year round. Definitely not in early spring when the first adventurer starts.

I don't think you can make tea yet, though I guess it wouldn't be hard to add it via mods.
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 05:59:16 am »

I knew about the trees, wasn't sure about the bushes.  Unfortunately my Elf had to kill a Moose to eat since it doesn't let you eat your Enemies.  At least it is nice to know if I travel later in the year any elf adventurer can make good off the land.

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2014, 06:39:58 am »

What do you mean it doesn't let you eat your enemies? You can easily butcher people now then eat their meat, even with humans/dwarves.
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2014, 07:14:13 am »

I keep finding artichoke hearts all the time, they are edible. Also, butchering enemies is possible, goblin fat never spoils, yummy.
The entire content consists of senseless murder, a pile of faceless naked women and zero regard for human life in general, all in the service of the protagonist's base impulses. It is clearly a cry for help from a neglected, self absorbed and disempowered juvenile badly in need of affectionate guidance. What a sad, sad display.