Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Domestication  (Read 862 times)

mankoo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Domestication
« on: July 07, 2014, 04:40:25 pm »

Hi, i was wondering if there is a posible way to make domestication real, after some research i found out that even in you train 2000+ ravens or any animal, it wont get past the knowledgeable state and you wont be able able to domesticate it and choose them on a different embark, so is there any mod or anything to change to make this possible?

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Domestication
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 05:32:48 pm »

The offspring of your partially-trained animals will start out at their mother's training level.  So after 1-2 generations, you can have fully domesticated animals.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 05:55:49 pm »

Info on the wiki seems to imply that multiple fortresses embarking from the same civ in a single world can advance the knowledge of training to full domestication.

I've never done it, or heard of anyone doing it, so maybe you will be the first.  Go forth and strike the earth!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 01:12:11 pm »

In Df2012 (no clue if it's still true in 2014 yet) Toady stated that though you could get your civilization very knowledgeable about an animal (making them very easy to take in future embarks) you could never actually make the small push over the limit to "domesticated", thus allowing taking them on future embarkations. I'd pull up the quote but I'm on my phone right now.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 01:47:59 pm »

The offspring of your partially-trained animals will start out at their mother's training level.  So after 1-2 generations, you can have fully domesticated animals.
I commonly have the 1st gen born in captivity tamed.

Deepblade

• Bay Watcher
  • Tholtarmid
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 02:31:52 pm »

If you tame an animal while it's still a child it is immediately is domesticated.
Deepblade's Standardized Creature Parts, for when you're pissed about all the different types of animal products there are.

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 04:37:32 pm »

I should have checked more then page 1 of this subforum before posting in dwarf mode discussion  :-X

I'm currently trying to find out if this is possible, too.
Civ wide domestication of an animal was impossible in the previous version, because the game lacked the ability to update the civs in such a major way after world generation was finished. Which was a major bummer for me since I've always wanted to embark with large felines and bears (without resorting to modding). No matter what you tried your civ could never reach a higher tier then "experts for [animal]", which is the second highest tier, with "domesticated [animal]" being the highest.

Fort wide domestication was possible in the old versions, simply by breeding enough generations of animals and keeping them tamed. IIRC the second generation of fortress born animals could be trained to reach domestication, and the third generation would then be born domesticated.

I've run 2 forts in the new version, but both saves got corrupted before I even reached expert levels...
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?