Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Training and or persuading military dwarves to engage enemies  (Read 1858 times)

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Training and or persuading military dwarves to engage enemies
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2014, 02:18:35 pm »

Aha but consider a danger room with regular kitten injections! :-)
I dunno, this just means that married women make good soldiers. Babies or kittens are the same.
Except the chance that the mother commits suicide or becomes too horrified to actually do something useful.
That's even better, it'll harden the other members of the squad if they suicide. It also resolve the overpopulation issue I often have.
Ah, yes, if you have plenty of recruits, it's excellent. I'd like to remind you of the Dwarven Child Care programme though, it may produce more favourable results in the long run. Perhaps seperating the offspring based on some criteria? Or better yet, enter them all in the programme and drop the failed subjects into the danger room!

Gosh, this is actually past the limit I'm comfortable with, I'm putting energy into writing it out.
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2014, 10:01:30 pm »

Scattering behaviour is probably weaponizable. One of the major problems with poorly trained dwarves is they love to run into melee and die horribly. But with their new preference for bravely running away in sheer panic their longevity is drastically improved.

So the idea might be to get some well trained melee dwarves and some marksdwarves, and also a cowards squad whose only job is to run away. When enemies arrive, you send the cowards in first, when the enemies start running at the cowards, the cowards flee in terror, this causes the enemy to break ranks and scatter trying to catch the cowards, at that point the well trained dwarves arrive and kill the scattered enemies. It avoids the problem of the entire enemy squad/army dogpiling your fastest dwarf.

Since training is more challenging in the latest version (weapon user and shield user train more slowly, meaning parrying and blocking are less effective) it may well be necessary to rethink tactics and it may be necessary to use immigrant squads as distractions so your real military has time to skill up to legendary god-of-war levels.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2014, 08:30:12 am »

Actually, there are some dwarves that have the trait 'Not caring about family one way or another', so I wonder if they would be good dwarves to enlist into the military (and as said, maybe they wouldn't care if their babies die in the danger room).

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Cat Cooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2014, 08:24:38 pm »

Actually, there are some dwarves that have the trait 'Not caring about family one way or another', so I wonder if they would be good dwarves to enlist into the military (and as said, maybe they wouldn't care if their babies die in the danger room).

I know in previous versions, dwarves get the "Doesn't care about anything anymore" when they're particularly hardened.
Urist cancels rest injury: Too injured
Pages: 1 [2]