Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stupid things for !FUN!?  (Read 469 times)

Lidhuin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stupid things for !FUN!?
« on: July 12, 2014, 12:17:24 am »

I want to try something stupid. Hopefully something stupid enough that it breaks the game and lets me report a bug, but just plain stupid is okay too.

Currently, I've seen that milking, shearing and making cheese all work. The river kinda killed my FPS though, so I'm going to stay away from rivers (Yeah, I have a crap laptop).

So what's something gloriously stupid that I can try, which may or may not work?

Lidhuin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stupid things for !FUN!?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 12:21:59 am »

I should note that I am willing to test things in adventurer mode as well... although I thought I was in the Dwarf Mode forum when I posted this. But oh well! It was inevitable.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 01:38:08 am »

FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 08:58:36 am »

As for adventure mode, here's what I did: I made an immortal adamantine colossus-like flying race and then started talking and watching forums for the hidden parts of the update. Extremely easy mod, you can test what happens in combat, like pulping bodyparts, pinching, breaking bones. You can try dodging/grabbing attacks. A good idea is to set out ALONE on a quest against some megabeast "far to the X". Along the way you'll find bogeymen, ambushes, predators, interesting people, sites, etc.
You can do it without the crazy invicibleness, but you'll die early on. Then again, it opens different possibilities. Go after necromancers/werebeasts/vampires (and watch them all panic before you even attack!), try and become the strongest being in the world and not burn to a crisp on the way! Name yourself lord of all the sites of a civ and see if you get the title of monarch! Go delve in underground fortresses and get lost in the tunnels! Try and free the poor young children snatched by the skulking evil goblins/night creatures!
Spit at innocent bystanders! Rob innocent bystanders! Try fighting non-lethal! Light fires! Track tracks! Smell odors!

In Dwarf Fort, just go wild. It's likely the whole place will go wild and you won't need to do anything to actually see it. Fort mode has the wonder that if you keep going on long enough, something will go terribly wrong. Go birdwatching! Invite foreigners! Kick out the foreigners! Survive trees! Attack trees! Burn trees! Burn the world! Settle in a terrifying biome/next to a Tower/both! Alienate the humans/elves! Try and flood the world with gold coins! Build some sort of dwarven megaproject (see above)! Try and make a military that doesn't crap its pants when seeing a zombie dragon burn down the world!

Yeah, I could go on. For exploration/generally exploring the new possibilities, I preferred to be free of dying from a random bolt in adventure mode. For a challenge, play a lowly dwarf or human. Or better yet, make kobolds playable.
I advise trying to gather an army of soldiers/zombies and storming a vault or taking over/razing sites.

You'll find bugs around every corner, it's finding the cause that's sometimes problematic.

The best thing you can actually do is thinking yourself for something no one has done yet. Think back to your time playing with legos when everything was possible and use that creativity. I mean, there have been computers made in DF, seriously. The sky's the limit. If you have a crazy idea, no matter how impossible it sounds, feel free to ask for tips on how to proceed.

That's what I could scrape from the top of my head. Good luck.
(The link above is extremely good, but I seriously advise trying to at least make variations on the plans there. There's a whole new level of !!FUN!! to be had when not following a prelaid path)
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread