Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Seismic Telegraph Not Working?  (Read 1203 times)

Qrox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Seismic Telegraph Not Working?
« on: July 05, 2014, 09:47:12 pm »

In my last gnome fortress I built a seismic telegraph and requested for traders several times, but nothing happened, not even any failure announcement. I've tried building it on soil, on rock, using stone or metal pistons, but everytime nothing happened. Viewing neighbouring civilization showed that there were one accessible gnome civilization. But no traders. As a result, for seven years of the fortress' history, there were no migrants except the first two waves. However, talking to birds and they told my gnomes "There are migrants off in the distance", but they never come. I set the population cap to 200, and my current population is a mere 26 (plus 3 automata). Am I doing something wrong? Is there any criteria for the traders and the migrants to come?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 09:51:54 pm by Qrox »

razorback

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Seismic Telegraph Not Working?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 03:20:20 am »

As far as i know it allways shows the civilisation you are embarking with, regardless if there is one or not.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 04:40:24 pm »

Post this in the Gnome Thread if you want people to respond. And if you have some spare time read the Board Rules.
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

cerevox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 11:29:06 pm »

Is it possible that the civ you came from has died or is so damaged they can't send immigrants? I would check legends and see what the status of the civ is. I don't understand embark and civ mechanics super well, but it should be possible that your embark gnomes are literally the last of the civ.

Qrox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 01:31:50 am »

Post this in the Gnome Thread if you want people to respond. And if you have some spare time read the Board Rules.
Sorry for this, I've read the board rules, and the last question I posted was in the gnome thread, but no one responded. And I saw some other posts that did not go into their corresponding threads, so I thought that might not be a strict one. I'll take take care next time I post.
By the way, how come that the birds told me there were migrants coming? If indeed all other gnomes died out I think this might be a glitch.

cerevox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 02:58:52 am »

I suspect you had migrant waves of 0 immigrants on their way.

Giimer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 01:33:09 pm »

Onward...

Well, that's all I've got for now. Further details concerning your available technology and abilities can be found in the pamphlets given out at the door, be sure to take one and have a good look at it. I don't want to hear anyone whining about how they starved or stopped getting migrants because they didn't realize that they would have to contact the homeland to invite caravans in. Speaking of which, you'll have to contact the homeland by telegraph if you want to trade. We expect to hear back within the year - if you can't scrape enough resources together to build a simple seismic telegraph by that time, we'll assume you're all dead and we'll stop sending migrants, too. We can't afford to send out our valuable goods and workers into the dangerous world without a very good reason, you got that?

Good luck, and may the light of inspiration shine upon you for the good of all gnomekind.
Manual

You do not have time to send a message. You are dead. Caravans and migrants will not.

Qrox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 11:52:02 pm »

I think I've found what's wrong with this. Everytime a gnome finishes calling a caravan the dfhack console outputs a index-out-of-bound error traceback, and looking into the code I found that the entities of the world are stored in a table and their id are different from their index. However the code tries to index the entity directly by their id, which causes an out-of-bound error.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 11:03:38 pm by Qrox »