Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: v0.34 Linking things to levers  (Read 550 times)

Avin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
v0.34 Linking things to levers
« on: July 10, 2014, 04:24:18 pm »

So, for this project I've been working on it requires that I have about 100 some odd floodgates and a lever for each. Now that really doesn't bother me so much until I started trying to link the levers to the floodgates, because of course I've all ready placed all of the floodgates. Is there any way that anyone knows of to better sort or search the lists of available things that can be linked to a lever? As it is now it takes ages just to find the right flood gate for the lever thats not but 5 spaces away from it.

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: v0.34 Linking things to levers
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 04:31:46 pm »

I tend to make things I'm planning on linking up (incidentally, doors are better than floodgates, unless you're intentionally using the added delay from floodgates for something) out of a different material each time, as far as possible, but other than that, there's nothing much you can do.

Avin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 04:48:17 pm »

yeah, it was only after all of the floodgates were in place that it occured to me that perhaps the best way to do this would have been to place a gate, link it, place the next. Unfortunately at this point, whats done is done.

I hadn't found anything in dfhack that may offer anything to resolve this unless I missed something. I'm hoping by chance someone out there may have a solution for this *Fingers crossed*

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 02:05:21 am »

Can't you just move the cursor over to the thing you want to link? I just realized this in v0.40, but I don't suspect it's a new feature.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 05:23:25 am »

Can't you just move the cursor over to the thing you want to link? I just realized this in v0.40, but I don't suspect it's a new feature.
But it is, and holy shit, thx for letting me know.

I hadn't found anything in dfhack that may offer anything to resolve this unless I missed something. I'm hoping by chance someone out there may have a solution for this *Fingers crossed*
No, there isn't a dfhack solution for this, I already requested a script that'd filter the linking list, or something, but nobody volunteered so far. However there's a useful dfhack feature called "browse linked mechanism", it's good for trouble shooting/checking if you have everything in order. I think it's mapped to ctrl-m default, check the dfhack.init if doesn't work.

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 09:10:19 am »

Oooh, cool that you can just place the cursor over what you want to link now.

But even without that, in previous versions, the list of the stuff you can link is sorted in the order that it is built. So even if you haven't thought much about it when constructing, so long as you have built things in more or less a logical order it shouldn't be too difficult to navigate the list.
Feeling down? Click Here!