Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dawn of War 3: It Might Be a Thing  (Read 2665 times)

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
Re: Dawn of War 3: It Might Be a Thing
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2015, 08:28:33 pm »

Wouldn't be bad as a game mode, not as the core SP or MP experience. More like an accumulated faction victory in several MP battles in a campaign than as the only part of the game. It'd just let you feel like part of a greater whole, than a no-point MP battle.

Think of the 13th Black Crusade from White Dwarf, except with actual battle results used, and no crappy writing or fudge factor. Sometimes the badguys (or whatever) could win No-name sector #43, but the elder might just be pipping them in #44. Or whatever.....

A bit more thorough thinking might be needed before I post stuff.
It's a game. Have fun.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2015, 10:12:33 pm »

Another thing I hope they add in, if not at launch then eventually, is The Last Stand mode. That was actually pretty fun.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2015, 10:30:48 pm »

Agreed, I really wish they'd stop caring about graphical fidelity as much as spectacle. I can overlook some jagged edges and blurry textures if I'm fighting a massive horde of whatevers.

Yeah, I spend most of my time zoomed out, so the polygon count and texture work is wasted on me, for sure.

I kinda wish there was an option to zoom out far and get strategic icons like in SupCom.  I doubt it'll happen, though.

God, that'd be glorious though, wouldn't it? Having your UA size battle just being a part of an even larger war. Even if it all just gets abstracted, sending some of your units off-map to reinforce a push or calling in reinforcements from somewhere else would be great. So many strategic opportunities.

I have looked on occasion for a Warhammer 40,000 mod for Supreme Commander but to no avail. I would think that the SupCom engine would be good for Apocalypse/Epic style games but modding for it is very much focused on adding new units to the existing factions.

I would like it if this new game would focus on larger battles again. Part of the fun for me is seeing all of the different types of vehicles and units included. Also they could rethink the strategic point mechanic seeing as the A.I. in DoW2 focuses on them far too much to get a good battle going. It's like playing musical chairs.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2015, 02:32:17 am »

You know, you *could* combine DoW and DoW2 style by having command squads which develop like in DoW2 while the rank-and-file units have less personality.Then there could be massive battles with lots of units and the occasional commando action, where you'd only take the command units.

I doubt they do that though; likely the game will be similar to DoW2.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2015, 03:26:25 am »

I would love it if you'd had a combination of both; Space Marines play more tactically, being able to defeat enemies on a 100-1 ratio when playing well, while Orcs play more like the first DoW with lots of units at the same time.
I found the tactical play style of DoW2 to work pretty well with races like Chaos Space Marines, Space Marines and Eldar, but terrible for Orcs, Tyranids and Imperial Guards.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2015, 06:00:19 am »

I would love it if you'd had a combination of both; Space Marines play more tactically, being able to defeat enemies on a 100-1 ratio when playing well, while Orcs play more like the first DoW with lots of units at the same time.
I found the tactical play style of DoW2 to work pretty well with races like Chaos Space Marines, Space Marines and Eldar, but terrible for Orcs, Tyranids and Imperial Guards.

It's what I really hope they move towards, and it might not be too much of a stretch. I can imagine them doing a sort of kingdoms-under-fire type thing with main units (spessmariens) which you command as a group and loads and loads of other units just scrambling around. Adding in some top down strategy elements and it could be pretty good!
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2015, 05:26:32 pm »

Depending on just how open the engine is to modding, you could lock the camera to an over-the-shoulder view on a commander, whack in wasd movement, mouse targeting, and play it like an MMORPG/Dynasty Warriors hybrid. Like space marine, but with auto-targeting and hotkey special moves with cooldowns.

You die, you respawn back at base. Choose to be a tank or something next time.

Might make for a fun game mode. Your one unit/squad vs the world. Don't know how you'd handle tech upgrades, but a basic mod like this will hopefully be possible. It would be especially cool if you could do this as a player alongside normal players in multiplayer (they have normal army building, you have a hero marine/tank/whatever and one incredibly tough respawn building. Can be co-op or versus, any MP matchup really).
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 05:37:45 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2015, 02:31:43 am »

Less DoW2, more DoW1, please. I don't want to play an action rpg where you just spam cooldown abilities like some kinda MOBA and then fight the most boring boss kiting fights imaginable.

Like maybe if it was actually tactical and anything like DoW2 sounded in the previews, it'd be good. Remember how they said every unit loss would matter? Like they were making a new Chaos Gate or Shadow of the Horned Rat? Instead it was just really monotonous ability spamming with near-immortal hero units followed by a couple scrubs that died almost instantly every mission without consequence.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2015, 03:33:08 am »

Well, if you play on the highest difficulty, your heroes die like scrubs too. Made the game even more monotonous because all you were doing was create choke points and kite enemies into those choke points. Boss fights took even longer and making one mistake meant you had to start all over again.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2015, 05:42:19 am »

I think the most disappointing thing about DoW2 was the map design. The maps were so...game-y, built as routes to go through with no plausibility whatsoever.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2015, 10:07:25 am »

I could literally do with a hypothetical DOW3 that had literally 0 elements of DOW2, in fact, I would be tremendously happy with just DOW1 on a better engine for bigger battles, better graphics, and fun animations. Some new stuff of course, but I really need to "send in the next wave" to experience DOW.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.
Pages: 1 [2]