Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Military Ranking of Shootincidents  (Read 671 times)

JAK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Military Ranking of Shootincidents
« on: July 10, 2014, 11:46:20 pm »

Ever since I discovered I could give dwarves special professions with Dwarf Therapist, I've been having a blast assigning my military dwarves custom professions by name based upon their number of Notable Kills (Henceforth referred to as 'NK's').

As follows

Enlisted
Buck Private: 0 NK. Your average legendary cheesemaker fresh out of boot camp. If he has ever seen a goblin, his combat log undoubtedly read "Urist McChicken runs for his life!"
Private: 1-3 NK. New guy in town. Probably killed an odd thief or that one goblin that thrown in his direction by the force of a veteran's blow.
Corporal: 4-5 NK. This trooper is starting to accumulate some good kills, showing promise.
Sergeant: 6-10 NK. More noteworthy exploits by this trooper. If he continues to not die, surely he could become a champion later.
Sergeant Major: 11-15 NK. An impressive kill list begins to form, engravings of his exploits begin to appear throughout the fortress and on artifacts. Without thinking you select his squad first whenever a crisis develops.
Master Sergeant: >15 NK. This ex-cheese maker has risen to become an invaluable mechanism in the defensive strategy of your fortress. Placing at least 2 =Platinum Statues= depicting his exploits somewhere in your fortress is a must.

There are two other ranking systems, one for squad leaders and one for members of the fortress guard. Because they are similar, I will not give commentary.

Officer Ranks
2nd (Second) Lieutenant*: 0-3 NK
1st (First) Lieutenant*: 4-5 NK
Captain: 6-10 NK
Major: 11-20 NK
Lt. (Lieutenant) Colonel*: 21-30 NK
Colonel: >30 NK

The officer ranks requiring more impressive kill lists to level up, because they are the first member to join any squad (usually) and also because leaders should always set a badass example.

Police Ranks
Cadet: 0-2 NK
Constable: 3-10 NK
Snr. (Senior) Constable: 11-15 NK
Honor Guard: >15 NK

Special Ranks
General: Goes to what the game normally calls the "Military Commander." He should be your most-vetted unit anyway.
Police Chief: Goes to whoever you nominate as Captain of the Fortress Guard.
Slayer/Terminator: This title is instantly awarded to any trooper who kills a great beast (interpret that term as you will, for me it is semi-megabeasts, megabeasts, forgotten beasts, titans, and potentially a powerful infiltrator such a cultleader of the carp god) and does not already bear one of the other special ranks. Use either term as you see fit.

*You must use the abbreviated form the prefix otherwise Dwarf Therapist will give you an error message telling you it's too long.

If your fort is constantly besieged and everybody who can wield so much as a copper chopping axe has crazy kill lists, just increase the kill requirements and go from there. Entirely for roleplaying and fun. Also cool to combat logs that are captioned with "The Buck Private is Fighting!"

EDIT: Shootincidents is my current Fort's name.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 11:48:49 pm by JAK »