Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Super Fast World Generations?  (Read 628 times)

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Super Fast World Generations?
« on: July 08, 2014, 05:06:18 pm »

I've seen quite a few reports of aberrantly fast world generations. I'm curious about these as I have never seen one myself. When these super fast world generations happen I have often seen reports of one entity dominating the world, for instance the goblins take over everything.

For those that have had these crazy fast world generations have you always found there to be an unusual distribution of civilizations afterwards? By this I mean is there maybe one or two civilizations that have literally taken over most of the world's regions?

Zeranamu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Z
    • View Profile
Re: Super Fast World Generations?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 05:30:11 pm »

Nope. But I tend to turn civs up. Actually, all I touch in, say, 'MEDIUM REGION' is starting points, end year (350), Volcanism variance (3200 for both), Min # Volcanos (say 40.. I want one by a flat river), For 1-5 layers, it's 15/10/10/25/25, 40 Civs, show caves. I end up with.. well, there's Goblins over there.

dirkdragonslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder, Proficient Failure
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 06:21:53 pm »

I noticed dwarves spread much quicker than they used to in worldgen, taking over entire mountain ranges in the first few decades. Everyone else seems slower to start, maybe wars are stopping them. Also, dragons and other megabeasts breed more often my friend said, as he went from age of myths to age of legends, then back again in 5 years, and there seems to be more "Kill this minotaur, blah blah blah" quests. My friend also found a couple of minotaurs sharing a maze in the middle of a huge mass of necromancer towers.

It is terrifying.
"Games come and go, and we all get tired of some games after time, but Dwarf Fortress seems to grab me by the leg every couple months and drags me back with it's bloody, ASCII claw. I think this game has given me Stockholm syndrome, but I love it so, and it's simplistic style yet extremely complex mechanics are like fine art, like a beautifully crafted ☼Cave Spider Silk Sock☼" - Dirk 3/31/2014
TAIL SHOOOOES!

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 07:09:24 pm »

Yeah, one way to have a super fast world gen is to kill everyone off somehow. For example, If you increase caves a great deal, their denizens will wipe out civilization and world gen then proceeds at a very rapid clip.

EDIT: It usually means that something went wrong.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 07:48:42 pm »

Yeah, one way to have a super fast world gen is to kill everyone off somehow. For example, If you increase caves a great deal, their denizens will wipe out civilization and world gen then proceeds at a very rapid clip.

EDIT: It usually means that something went wrong.

This is exactly what I suspected, that in cases where the world gens are super fast something went wrong.