Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: World Update Time  (Read 973 times)

Lightman

• Bay Watcher
  • The groboclones are looking for you.
    • View Profile
World Update Time
« on: July 09, 2014, 03:42:46 am »

I generated a world with default (Medium) parameters.

When starting adventure mode, it goes through the two-week update period.  It takes 20-30 minutes on my computer.

Is anyone else seeing *really* long update times?  Could it be the generated world, somehow?

Imakuni

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Dance Floor!!
    • View Profile
Re: World Update Time
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 04:02:23 am »

Yeah, it always seems to take a while, especially with worlds that have a lot of stuff going on. You could try regenning, but there most likely won't be that big of a difference.

Toady said that he will be able to tweak some things to speed it up in the future!
Urist McImmigrant: "What?! Hey! What's going onnn---aaaaRRRGGHH!!"
Urist McSurgeon: "Must remove the rot, yes.  This one is unclean, ssssss.  Purity of essence, yesss."
Urist McImmigrant: "Whhaa---aaaARRGHH OW!  MY PANCREAS!  AAAAGGHH!! THAT'S MY - NOOOOO---AAARRGHGHHH!!!"
Urist McImmigrant has suffocated.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 04:04:02 am »

Try small worlds. In my computer it takes only one minute in small worlds.

Chimpanzee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 04:45:17 am »

You are not the only one experiencing this. I myself finally managed to get past this process and create an adventurer, and the game betrayed me by a crash after a few minutes of exploring a dwarven fortress. Now I have to get over this process again  :o
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 05:40:10 am by Chimpanzee »
"I am a Legandary Weaver! Nobody handles cloth like me"
"Yeah, that's great. Hey, are you done? If so, we need to smelt this ten thousand large load of hematite. I'll see you next month."
"WHAT AN OUTRAGE! I AM A LIVING LEGEND! I SHOULD BE WEAVING"
"That's nice. Tell you what, pretend you are weaving metal out of this ore. Now get to work."

Lightman

• Bay Watcher
  • The groboclones are looking for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 04:48:18 am »

Thanks for the replies.  I'll try a small world, after another adventure (or two)!  I have to see if I can overcome an enemy camp where my last adventurer was killed.

Chimpanzee:
Ah, sorry to hear that :(  I had a similar experience.  The next time, I made sure to save the game right away and then I could play until I died, at least.

Kolnukbyne

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great laziness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 05:16:20 am »

With a medium world, 153 year history my computer takes around 7-10 minutes. A smaller world, shorter history, less sites/historical figures will all likely reduce the time on this screen. As Imakuni said, Toady has commented on this issue that he is hoping to optimise the performance of this screen.

Chimpanzee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 05:39:08 am »

I deleted my original world in favor of a small world. Hope that helps significantly. Toady himself has said somewhere that he's trying to fix the load time problem.

EDIT: In a small world it takes much less time to load thank in a large one.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 05:44:07 am by Chimpanzee »
"I am a Legandary Weaver! Nobody handles cloth like me"
"Yeah, that's great. Hey, are you done? If so, we need to smelt this ten thousand large load of hematite. I'll see you next month."
"WHAT AN OUTRAGE! I AM A LIVING LEGEND! I SHOULD BE WEAVING"
"That's nice. Tell you what, pretend you are weaving metal out of this ore. Now get to work."

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 06:19:10 am »

My pocket world with a short history takes almost no time to load, so there's that at least.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2014, 09:40:32 am »

Pocket worlds are the best right now.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2014, 11:11:19 am »

I prefer Small worlds since they take well under a minute to generate history, as long as worldgen was short.
10 years works extremely well.