Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A challenge from /dfg/ (Spoilers)  (Read 843 times)

Sitokirment

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
A challenge from /dfg/ (Spoilers)
« on: July 23, 2014, 04:57:20 pm »

http://imgur.com/LfLSZtU

So this came up on Dwarf Fortress General over on 4chan's /vg/. How long WOULD it take for an artifact bed to be made from divine metals and how would one even do it?

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A challenge from /dfg/ (Spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 05:14:40 pm »

I dont know for sure if beds are even a valid option for a strange mood to pick.  Asumeing it is (you can get some realy weird uncraftable crap from them) I would suspect it would be a blacksmith that would produce it as they make metal furnature.  If someone went to the trouble of ensuring all dwarves had their highest moodable skill as blacksmith simply wait for a mood, forbid all metal but the one you want them to use as the mood starts, and then once all items are collected savescum till you get an artifact bed.  unless the recent version changed the mechanics the artifact type is determined when its finished not when started so savescuming back to during the construction can net you different types.   probably wouldnt take all that long if you had plenty of magma forges and made alot of metal furnature.  would take longer if you didnt want to savescum and you'd need a good supply of that metal.

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 05:25:47 pm »

I dont know for sure if beds are even a valid option for a strange mood to pick.

They most definately are.

I think the only way to do that is to have adventurers hoard stuff made from said metal, melt it down and have most dwarves train blacksmithing for moods. As soon as mood hits, use burrows and forbids to force metal.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 05:28:15 pm by Z1000000m »

Sitokirment

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 06:02:40 pm »

Wait, aren't strange moods limited to what the dwarfs can use? they HAVE to use a specific item to make a specific craft of which it has in mind, right? You can't force them to make them out of materials they don't want to use.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 06:52:04 pm »

I do recall dwarves not being restricted to a specific material. They'll use a preference material if available, but I think you can force your moody dorf to use the metal you want by simply forbidding all other metals. I don't think you even need burrows. It's been a good while though, so I might be mistaken in that it needs burrows after all.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

m-logik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 08:53:32 pm »

Wait, aren't strange moods limited to what the dwarfs can use? they HAVE to use a specific item to make a specific craft of which it has in mind, right? You can't force them to make them out of materials they don't want to use.

The only specific materials that I've ever seen a dwarf demand for a mood were a specific type of raw glass or adamantine. Anything else they just ask for a class of material, in my experience. So if they were asking for metal bars, and all you had were bronze and frosty metal, they would use the frosty metal without fail if you forbid all your bronze.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 09:15:58 pm »

Unless they have a preference for a specific type of metal, in which case I've seen them refuse to touch ANY metals besides what they like, be it platinum or lead.