Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Spoiled children  (Read 1134 times)

Aristharus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Spoiled children
« on: August 25, 2006, 02:47:00 am »

I just noticed that I have two children in my fortress, and both are filthy rich!

I was just checking if anyone had bought more shops off the Bookkeeper. There was this one shop owned by my legendary miner. Cool, I thought. Then I moved on.. Bookkeeper, bookkeeper, bookkeeper, child. Child? The shop had been for sale for around 1000 whatever-currency-that-is, as is most of my shops. The only people who have had enough money to buy shops are my legendary miner, who, being legendary, does get helluva lot money, and some child. And the shop the miner bought was just built, so it didn't probably cost more than 300.

I checked the unit screen, saw two children, and checked their info. The one who owned the store had 2490 on their account, and the other one only some 900. He must've been spending big lately. Both of them rent rooms I've made for nobles in case some come. That is three rooms (bedroom, dining room, study) rented out as one giant bedroom. The rents are somewhere around 700-750.

First of all, why do the children live on their own, if their parents share a small room and a bed? And where do they get that money, are they stealing my coins or what?

Uhm, while typing this I noticed that many of the other dwarves have around 1000 on their account, too. 1000 was rich the last time I looked at them, so times've been changing.. But still the children are the richest dwarves in my fortress, which seems a little odd.

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spoiled children
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2006, 09:01:00 am »

I recall Toady saying that children have access to their parent's accounts.  That probably includes both parents.  Which sort of sucks for the parents in a case like this...
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2006, 04:27:00 pm »

At least it's better than going to some silly mancy-pancy "university" or something.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Gakidou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2006, 05:12:00 pm »

Can nobles have children? If so, I doubt my adult peasant dwarves will ever manage to own anything...